HRM to track tdee?

SonicaBE
SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
Hi I am new to all of this and have been researching this topic and have question and need help. I calculated my values on scoobys
And I am wondering has anyone actually worn a hrm for 24 hrs to see what you really burn? I am working out 6 days a week
And I eat around 1880 a day. The days I lift I eat a bit more. If someone could help me that would be great. 190 is my weight and I am 5'7 and female.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Hi I am new to all of this and have been researching this topic and have question and need help. I calculated my values on scoobys
    And I am wondering has anyone actually worn a hrm for 24 hrs to see what you really burn? I am working out 6 days a week
    And I eat around 1880 a day. The days I lift I eat a bit more. If someone could help me that would be great. 190 is my weight and I am 5'7 and female.

Except for certain Garmin's, HRM's are only decently accurate (if you have corrected known stats too) for steady-state aerobic exercise, about 90-150/160 bpm.

Any daily activity less than that is inflated.
    Any anaerobic activity like HIIT or weight lifting is inflated.

The only thing wearing the HRM all day would tell you is what is your avgHR all day. Which actually was surprising to me.
    I did it over 3 days so the batter impact wasn't so bad. During sleep. Wakeup until mid-day. Second part of work until sleep.
    No exercise, but all the normal walking, errands, ect.
    Avg HR of 56. What i found interesting was the drop in HR to 45 when I got back to chair at work and plopped down. Even during the night the avg was higher as body was doing recovery stuff.

So forget it for estimating total daily burn unless you have a Garmin with Firstbeat algorithms being used. Which I did. And it actually was close to what an RMR test suggested would be the case for Sedentary type day.

Lifting actually uses less calories than cardio, unless you are doing the cardio at fat-burning zone. Which is appropriate for day after lifting day actually.
    Weight lifting burns more calories post -workout as your body recovers and repairs, if you allow it to anyway. More fat calories too.