Rule of thumb/too much water can decrease milk supply

Options
They say that remembering this one rule, makes it easy to help make sure you are taking in what you, and your baby needs all while keeping healthy, and training your body that it will get food and water and does NOT have to store it..turn it into fat !! NO NO we don't want fat. We have to train our bodies that we will take care of them, we will feed them several times a day..and the right things too !

RULE OF THUMB: Eat every 3-4 hours since your body is constantly working and burning calories to turn the food you eat, into milk for you little one(s). Drink 8 ounces of water after EVERY feeding, that way you know you're drinking enough to keep a healthy supply. Drinking too much water (over 12 glasses) can actually DECREASE your milk supply !!! It is important to note that tea and coffee should not make up much of the mother’s fluid intake; drinking too much tea and coffee can inhibit milk production.
Avoid simple carbohydrates like white bread and other foods made with refined flour and sugar. Mom's diet should consist mainly of complex carbohydrates, protein and fats. Simple carbohydrates can decrease milk supply by spiking insulin levels.

Replies

• itsasecret22
    Options
    The water consumption is going to vary from person to person. For example, I'm 358 pounds and 12 glasses of water to me is less than I've consumed on a daily basis for the last two years. I drink more like 16+ and don't notice a difference.