Dry mouth. Instant vomiting, BAD! (possible TMI)

Options
RonneyKay
RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
Okay all..

so i have been on hiatis for a bit and so much in my life has been so screwy. So the past few days, I have been doing really "good" trying to get into ketosis...

That being said, the past few days I have had REALLY DRY MOUTH to the point of not even being able to talk or answer the phone (which is a problem since I am a receptionist). Also been achy and stuff, but blew the aching thing off because I remember "detoxing" when I first started Low Carb.

Now all that, today I was feeling somewhat nauseas throughout the day, but it was tolerable. Then I get into bed, and I had to LITERALLY jump out of bed and RUN to the bathroom (didn't quite make it) and I had the most epic projectile agressive vomiting ever! I wasn't even feeling any worse Nauseas than the rest of the day, and all the sudden my stomach started like in contractions and I had to vomit IMMEDIATELY. I barely made it to the toilet... had to stop by the bathtub on the way...

Please tell me what could be causing this. I am at a loss. This has never happend to me before... It's so friggin weird and I don't get it. Now I vomited, and I admit, I ate a tortilla with cheese, and i now feel better, and getting ready to hopefully keep this down and go to sleep. My family and I ate the same thing today, so it's not food poisoning because otherwise my son and husband would have it.

Have any of you ever experienced this? I have started the ketogenics (or however its called) Could this be too radical for me? I like to keep my carbs under 30g a day. Should I up this?

Any advice would just be AWESOME!

Thanks for listening

Replies

• mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have issues with dry mouth and dry eyes and slow healing wounds... I believe mine to be caused by lack of starch.
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11/dangers-of-zero-carb-diets-ii-mucus-deficiency-and-gastrointestinal-cancers/

I now incorporate sweet potatoes into my carbs. I know they are high in carbs, but when I consistently eat an ounce or two a day, it all goes away. So weird!

However, there was no vomiting. I don't know of low carb causing stomach issues than other when I binge on fat... then I feel super sick. but no pukies.

I would go to a Doc... I hope you feel better! :(
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in healthcare for a living - yes - absolutely contact your primary care physician.

Make sure you let him/her know that you are following a lower carb intake because that can factor in to the picture.

Make sure you also write down everything you have consumed for the past 24 hours to see if there was something that might have triggered the response.

Dont be surprised if there is a consideration for blood work... We have had to recommend a blood draw for patients in your situation and have often been able to find things there in addition to the hyperemetic response.

Always bring your medical related questions to your PCP.. not on MFP.....

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Definitely see the doc but in the meantime I'd second adding in some sweet potatoes and see how you go.

30g might just not work for you.

I started there and I have not had serious issues but I find that I have a dryish nose if I keep the carbs way low, all tied to mucus production if the 'Perfect Health Diet' link is to be believed.

Some sweet potato isn't going to harm you in any case, I love it in a frittata :)