Intro

Options
Hi, I'm Roy and I had CABG 2.5 years ago when I was 48. Didn't realise I had any problems but started getting angina symptoms and bypass was the answer. Five grafts...

Felt great since then and have followed the exercise recommendations from cardiac rehab classes. As I don't like the gym I was doing walking and stepping, but have recently decided to add some strength training too. Not technically overweight but noticed it was drifting up, so am trying to get down to 133lb so that there is more of a margin for error.

It's all good, but CABG is a big deal when you're on the receiving end and I've had my black moments. It's good to talk which is why I set this up, in case anyone stumbles in.

Replies

• tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    H Roy my name is Tina and I have been dealing with Cardiac Disease since I was 38 and had my first MI. Last year was my second MI at 45 and then this past January I had some more cardiac issues that to a bit but did get resolved as I have Coronary Atery Spasms that is affecting my smaller veins and vessels in my heart too.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Really sorry, Tina.

I belong to this club, too. "Member since 2010." Seems to be fine now. Doc says I can do whatever exercise I want.
  • tnmyers23
    Options
    Really sorry, Tina.

I belong to this club, too. "Member since 2010." Seems to be fine now. Doc says I can do whatever exercise I want.

Sara please don't feel sorry for me to be honest I to can do anything I want. I have the doctors baffled and plan on keeping them that way for awhile.
  • Mister_Roy
    Mister_Roy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're keeping your spirits up :smile:
  • Mister_Roy
    Options
    I never really exercised before the op so it has been a 'lifestyle change'. IT was great having the rehab classes to build confidence - my own and my wife's.
  • tnmyers23
    Options
    I do keep my spirits up as I let myself start to sink once and figured out it ain't worth it. If I want to stick around then I have to give the best possible chance and that is by remaining the fighter I am.
  • Mister_Roy
    Options
    I do keep my spirits up as I let myself start to sink once and figured out it ain't worth it. If I want to stick around then I have to give the best possible chance and that is by remaining the fighter I am.

Inspiring words Tina :smile:
  • nursie461
    Options
    I just joined this group and I just joined myfitnesspal so this is my first post and pray that I am doing it correctly. I found out in June that I had a "silent" heart attack at one time and that I have 2 other partial blockages. Due to my long time diabetes all my cardiac veins and arteries are literally too small for them to place stents and the only reason I didn't die from my heart attack is that my body did it's own by pass surgery by making collateral veins and that is why my heart keeps on beating. At this time no surgery can be done and the only help I can get is medication, diet and exercise. I am currently in a cardiac rehab program and that is going okay but the diet is a tough one. Each day brings it's own dietary challenges. I think that I am still in denial because all this has happened so quickly. I went to see my Md originally because of the pain I would get on the sides of my neck and across my shoulders when I was rushing around doing things and sometimes I would be a little "winded". They had me do a stress test & wow was it ever positive - I had heart beat changes right away and they had to give me nitroglycerin spray. So then a few days later the angiogram & that is when I found out the worst of it. I am trying to get more walking in and I do the exercise bike. Sometimes the tread mill. I have to always have my nitroglycerin spray handy because I never know what will trigger the angina. I am 58 & unfortunately around 90 lbs over wt. Each day is a challenge just to be ok with this all and not get terribly depressed and down on my self. I think it will help to speak with others that have these same issues. Thanks for letting me tell my story.
  • Mister_Roy
    Options
    Hey Nursie, good to have you here. Your story brings back memories of tests and angiograms - yikes! I remember getting the nitro spray - in the first week I was definitely in denial, thinking the spray was some kind of magic energy juice. One time I had too much in a restaurant, fainted and scared everyone.

It's amazing what your body can do, for instance forming new veins. My guess is once your body 'knows' you need to lose weight it will start to help you. MFP is great for inspiration and the calorie counting tool really helps.

Good luck!
  • tnmyers23
    Options
    Nursie being that you are female and in the medical field we tend to do a little more denial then most. This is a great place to start the saupport here on MFP has been fabulous. During my first MI they found that I had collateral vessels. which surprised my cardiologist as they shouldn't of been in place yet. My grandmother always said God watches over fools and drunks so I guess I am a fool as I don't drink...lol. Any time befriend me on here. I may be younger but I have walked in your shoes and I know how this can be. Best of luck to you on this journey. And remember to follow your Cardiac rehab instructions.
  • nursie461
    Options
    :smile: Thank you for the wonderful and supportive response. I see that you have lost a lot of weight and just wondered how you got this all done? Exercise and diet or diet alone? Are your heart issues stopping you from enjoying life? Do you have to do "things" differently? Any personal advice is greatly appreciated. It helps to understand how others have been able to make changes in their lives to accomodate their illness.
  • tnmyers23
    Options
    :smile: Thank you for the wonderful and supportive response. I see that you have lost a lot of weight and just wondered how you got this all done? Exercise and diet or diet alone? Are your heart issues stopping you from enjoying life? Do you have to do "things" differently? Any personal advice is greatly appreciated. It helps to understand how others have been able to make changes in their lives to accomodate their illness.

Nursie, support is the one thing we need to complete this journey. It is probably the hardest journey we will have to travel. I am here for you. I have lost this weight through diet and exercise. Walking being one of the easiest exercises that helps with both the weight and the cardiac issues. I have never let my heart issues stop me from enjoying life till this past winter when from January through May when I had chest pain everyday but then it only slowed me down the first few months and I got pissed and started living again and I haven't been happier. But on top of have Cardiac Disease I have what Prinzemetals Angina aka Coronary artery Spasms that affect all vascular aspects of my heart. ANd no that doesn't slow me down either.

My biggest piece of advice is complete your cardiac rehab, talk to your cardiologist about what your limitations are and go. Live your life and enjoy it. My cardiologist never put limitations on me as he knew from talking with me that it was worthless to do. I just changed Cardiologists this past June and so this one will have to get to know me better but I will not let him stop me from living life. And walk walk walk.

I would also advice you to check out the South Beach Diet and speak with your cardiologist about it. It is a low carb, low fat diet and works wonders. I have followed most aspects of it for the past 8 months. I am probably a lot stricter with myself then the diet would be but it is a great place to get guidelines.

Any questions please ask and I will try to help but remember that you have to do what feels right for you. I will tell you what I have done but it is what has worked for me and may not work for you. Plus as I always say I am not a doctor.