Insanity & martial arts??

Options
Tank_Girl
Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
Has anyone supplemented their martial arts training with insanity to increase their fitness?
I can get the dvds for nothing via a relative and will be starting insanity in a few days hopefully...
Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen and heard of Insanity, it seems like it would be as beneficial as any other form of cross-training. You may have to adjust the timing of your Insanity workouts to fit your martial arts training.

Personally, I find it helpful to schedule tough cross-training days on the days when i'm not going to TKD and to do easy workouts on TKD days. On TKD days I might swim for 30 minutes or go on a walk instead of running 4 miles and lifting weights.
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    My "plan" is to do insanity in the mornings... I do kickboxing twice a week in the evenings
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Oh yea! Since I started Insanity I got so much more flexible and my cardio went up...
    I've been doing martial arts for over 14 years and this works...
    I'm practicing Hoshinkido Hapkido twice a week and Insanity helps a lot. I follow my sched and Do Insanity 6/7 days and I'm always ready,stretched and warmed up so it's so much easier. Injuries are easier to prevent that way too.

I do Insanity 90% in the mornings and sometime in the evenings (that's when my work schedule is in the way).
    So Twice a week I do Insanity early and go to my class around 7pm...OHHHH WHAT A DAY!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My "plan" is to do insanity in the mornings... I do kickboxing twice a week in the evenings

That's what I do.... :)
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options

That sounds perfect! My class meets at noon,. I decide whether to walk or run with the dog in the evenings based on whether the instructor tried to kill us or just hurt us.

The dog prefers the days when class was brutal. She's lazy.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options

That's what I do.... :)

I go to TKD twice a week as well, and on the other days i'll just workout at home. But i'm looking to try Tapout XT since it incorporates some martial arts movements, which will definitely be a plus in the flexibility and cardio department.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Haha, I thought this thread was about how crazy people just like to fight and have somehow gotten the world to buy into it being an "art".

I came in to agree.
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    Haha, I thought this thread was about how crazy people just like to fight and have somehow gotten the world to buy into it being an "art".

I came in to agree.
    Hahaha martial arts keep the insanity and aggression away in my case, im never calmer and more in control than when im training
    Never really subscribed to the spirituality side of it personally however