Doughy tummy issue!

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I haven't lost anything for the last 3 months although I have lost 3 stone since last year.

My original goal was to get to 9st 3 to finish wii fit, however the wii weighs me in a bit heavier than my bathroom scales so although I'm now 9st 3 on my bathroom scales (this morning) I'm only just under the 9 and half stone mark on wii fit, which would mean I need to get to 9st or a bit less for it to be 9st 3 on wii fit!

My problem is I haven't lost weight around tummy like I have everywhere else I kept trying cardio cos you need cardio to lose all over but face is thinner, wrists are so thin they look like they would snap but still I have a tummy!

I have to wear size 14 in trousers to get my tummy in even though I managed to get to my goal weight, my step mum said she was 11 st at xmas and she's a couple of sizes smaller than me! She's a bit taller than me but not by much and is also 70yrs old and I'm only 43!

I've tried wheat free and been wheat free since last June which initially got great results then slowed to a grinding halt!

I've seen 'doughy abdomen' described for peoples with thyroid probs before and thats just what mines like soft and doughy. even when I was at 12 st 7 I still looked more pregnant than fat all over. Anyone else have the tummy issue?

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It could be lots of things - too much cortisol can cause a big stomach. Also, insulin resistance can cause you to keep weight around the middle. I had that last year, but did low carb for a while then gluten free and got rid of it. I went from size 14 to size 8 (some clothes I wear a size 6). All the weight I lost was in my torso - my legs and arms were already small.

So, the only thing I can think of is to recomend that you go low carb for a little while - get all your carbs from vegetables and reduce the amount of sugar and eliminate any processed foods.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Have you tried strength training? I still have a belly, but it did shrink a couple inches after a couple months of ChaLEAN Extreme. I'm not sure how or why it worked. I barely lost weight, but my shape changed.

I will probably do the program again when it gets cold out. I don't care much for DVDs when the weather is nice and I can be outside, but once the snow falls, I'll be indoors with my resistance bands again.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I am wheelchair user (since age 35) so many exercises are not possible. However I have recently got a 4kg kettlebell and adapted some exercises to do alongside the video Kettlecise for women 2 DVD. I was born with thyroid not working so been on synthetic T4 since 23 months old.

I have been low carb and gluten free for the last year. The only other thing I can think is I was scanned a few years back and they found a fibroid which the nurse said was the size of a small fist or apple. I was 48" around abdomen then.

I got it down to 34" with diet and exercise and started with menopause symptoms this year (I'm 43). Last night I found a book about Oestrogen dominance and progesterone treatment to balance it so I bought the book off Amazon and some progesterone cream and will start that diet and the cream when it arrives to see if that works.

I remember reading that fibroids do shrink naturally as oestrgen levels fall during menopause and sometimes when people have gone through surgery to have them removed they have come back again but gone naturally after the menopause if left. Not sure how long the menopause lasts but maybe I will get my flat tummy by the time I'm 50? :laugh:
  • StephanieStroud
    StephanieStroud Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in here and say that today, you are my inspiration. I am 44 years old and have lived with Hypothyroid for over 15 years. I know how hard it is to lose weight without a properly functioning thyroid even when fully mobile.

I don't have any particular advice to offer you however, my husband is an Occupational Therapist and I have heard him say many times that core strength is crucial for wheelchair users. My Dad is disabled at 66 years old and requires a wheelchair. We have often discussed the benefits of core strength and how it would benefit him. It is his job to adapt exercises for his clients. I would be happy to ask him for suggestions, if you'd like send me a message.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in here and say that today, you are my inspiration. I am 44 years old and have lived with Hypothyroid for over 15 years. I know how hard it is to lose weight without a properly functioning thyroid even when fully mobile.

I don't have any particular advice to offer you however, my husband is an Occupational Therapist and I have heard him say many times that core strength is crucial for wheelchair users. My Dad is disabled at 66 years old and requires a wheelchair. We have often discussed the benefits of core strength and how it would benefit him. It is his job to adapt exercises for his clients. I would be happy to ask him for suggestions, if you'd like send me a message.

Thanks. I was looking at this core exerciser in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9266845/c_1/1|category_root|Sports+and+leisure|14419152/c_2/2|14419152|Fitness+accessories+and+equipment|29022124/c_3/3|cat_29022124|Toning+equipment|23846075.htm

I can get from chair to floor so could sit in front of this as lady is doing on photo (on argos site) I wondered if this would be help? Can you ask him what he thinks of this to help strengthen core?

I have been doing pilates floor exerices and have several videos and wii games that include pilates floor exercises.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hello -

just wanted to chime in on this, as i have had success in getting my tummy pretty tight - even with two herniated discs in my lumbar spine, after two children, and loss of over 130 pounds - granted, i gained 90 of those pounds back after several yrs maintained [regret], and am on the path of dropping them now, but the tummy thing is something i need to get back on target with, as mine has gotten soft and is a little prego looking.

jackie warner dvd. one-on-one training with jackie warner, 3 workouts. the core workout is the one i did, [and also the arms] and i had AMAZING results. i see you are a wheelchair user; no worry - modify the routine to suit you, but do the core-ab workout to the best of your ability, really engaging the muscles as you move. i did it a few times a week for a few months, and when i was in the 170s range [i am 5'7"] i literally saw lines on my tummy where ab cuts were hiding underneath, and i looked and felt damn fine.

my goal is to get back there. and yep - i got my jackie warner dvd ready to go again, once i get my motivation up.

working on that last part - taking B12s, D-3, iodine and multis. started on them about 10 days ago.
    in a better mood, doing more, yet still *so* tired and not up to working out just yet. soon, though.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Thanks I'll check out the Jackie Warner DVD. I've started progesterone cream so hopefully that will help to shrink it and the core exercises should tone everything up underneath.

I'll have to make appointment to see doctor to see if I still have that fibroid that showed up in a scan about 2 years ago, but I heard progesterone cream can also help with those too.

I'm reluctant to go surgery route if its cos of size of fibroid as I read of someone who had them removed 3 times and they kept coming back eventually they left them the last time they came back and they eventually shrunk on their own after menopause.