Stage 1 ladies: lack of abs?!

Options
okay so I just finished workout 5B tonight and I couldn't take any more- I had to add some ab exercises. I know the book says not to add anything, but it feels like the rest of my body is really looking tighter but my stomach is starting to get flabby and gross. Is anyone else experiencing this? This was formerly my favorite body part, and I hope it doesn't take 5 weeks to get it back!

Replies

• MamaKeeks
    Options
    Yes... this bothers me too. My arms and back look great but my gut looks awful! And it is definitely bigger. I have opted to modify my routine to target specific areas that are problematic for me.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. My whole body has definately gotten stronger and firmer with the exception of my abs too. I assumed it was because my core was so weak from my 2nd pregnancy, but I see I'm not alone. I'm starting stage 2 today and there is way more ab work in stage 2. I can't tell you if the ab work is adequate just yet, but I'm really hoping so because my stomach was one of the main reasons I decided to start lifting. FTR I didn't add any additional ab work to stage 1. I was kinda hoping that the heavy lifting would help to tighten things up, but no such luck.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought it was just me. My abs are hiding now where they used to show some definition. That's one reason I was thinking about quiting the program. But maybe if I go back to doing the Supreme 90 Day dvds along with this program they will come back.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    I feel like I am losing the inches everywhere. I feel like my abs are getting some definition, but I have a layer of fat over my abs that I would like to shed. I have had 2 pregnancies and I don't know if my tummy is stretched or if its just fat. I need a miracle cream!!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't add anything. There is a reason that there are 7 Stages to NROL4W. I'm sure by the end all of our abs will be fabulous!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I do NOT want to wait 6 months to get my abs back to where they used to be! Glad I'm not the only one though.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    At least we have all winter to work on them then BAM! That's right baby, look at my washboard abs!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    See, I don't find a lack of abs, even if Stage 1! It's a full body workout - so make sure you are engaging your core in every movement, thus, every workout can be an ab workout. I don't think adding 600 extra crunches at the end of your lifting routine is going to get you a 6-pack any faster. You just gotta keep plugging at it and as you lose the fat the underlying muscles will start to show, but unfortunately you don't get to decide what shows first!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    See, I don't find a lack of abs, even if Stage 1! It's a full body workout - so make sure you are engaging your core in every movement, thus, every workout can be an ab workout. I don't think adding 600 extra crunches at the end of your lifting routine is going to get you a 6-pack any faster. You just gotta keep plugging at it and as you lose the fat the underlying muscles will start to show, but unfortunately you don't get to decide what shows first!

1. I am definitely engaging my core.
    2. I would never do 600 crunches! :noway: I added a few pilates moves.
    3. I do not generally carry weight in the waist/stomach area AT ALL- it likes to hang out in my butt and thighs! I'm very hourglass, so this is definitely an odd development for me.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I believe the planks, crunches, hip flexion, etc. in stage 2 are excellent for abs, in stage one deadlifts work your abs and also the stability ball exercises (crunches).

Are you doing the stability ball crunches? Do you tense your stomach, feeling yourself pull you belly button in while doing them? Try doing the crunches with your arms straight back from your head (along the ears..) like they show in the book.

If you don't like the Nrol4W, I believe there is also an ab book as well.

For me, i'm on stage 2 the 2nd time around and i'm just now feeling "hard" in my back and stomach (so 7 months or so). I can tell you that I didn't see tons of progress until now, but now when I poke myself in the back or abs, i'm impressed with how hard those muscles are. ;)

ETA: Make sure you always hit your protein goal, that should be the one you always hit, when I checked through your diary that was the one that was hit the least. Watch the carbs (not low carb, I know) but carbs can cause you to store more water and feel bloated.
  • MamaKeeks
    Options
    Nope, for me, everything ab related just started to go loosy goosy when I started, not feeling tight or taut. I like to feel they are tight and compact, and even though I was getting that in my arms, back and legs, my abs weren't responding.

I brace my core in all moves. The swiss ball jacknife is easy (I add pushups to the end of each extension); and I do the swiss ball crunches with overhead 25lb weight. It's all good. It's just not enough to keep my abs reigned in to where I am comfortable with them.

Not naive - I don't believe that millions of crunches will do jack - but I think some plank work might help things along...

My abs were (or at least FELT) tight before I started.... I do not want to lose them only to have to try and regain them in stage 7!?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what your squats and deadlifts are at - your hand, leg, and back strength... vs your core strength.

I was fairly even, so as my deadlifts and squats have gone up, my ABDOMINAL PROWESS has also gone up. If you're someone who previously worked the core a lot more than you worked anything else, I imagine they'd be way stronger than your legs and you'd have to catch up.

That said, are y'all making the swiss ball crunches and pikes as hard as possible for your super abs? there are quite a few variations. :)
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    take a look at NROL for abs, this is a more updated book then NROL4W so you could take some of the ab work from there and substitute it into your routine :) a few ppl on the book's forum website have done that
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Agreed that I started this program BECAUSE of my abs and thats the one place where I dont see a change. In stage 2 now and there is more ab work but it still doesnt seem sufficient SO im adding in more ab work. to each his own. We all react differently to different things. I have a straight figure..ughhh and I need to lose inches in my waist to appreciate the new curves in my derierre from the heavy squats :flowerforyou:
    Now those new curves I do love!

Edited to add that I just ordered New Rules for abs and while I plan on finishing out the current program I may end up completing some kind of bastardize hybrid program Alwyn never intended, lol. Im sure I'll be much happier for it.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    The book mentions doing pilates or yoga as a supplemental to the program for abs. They are both fantastic workouts too. Why not try that?