Seriously struggling

Options
epcooper
epcooper Posts: 161 Member
So the hubs is back from Afghanistan and I've totally fallen off the wagon. I thought a little indulgence when he first got home wouldn't be a big deal, but now I find myself eating grains 3-4 times a week and I feel AWFUL. I'm working full time and doing a super fast-paced Accounting degree program and sometimes I don't even want to cook for myself, let alone my picky husband. Unfortunately, the only thing my dear hubs knows how to cook is spaghetti, so he's very little help. Sure, he'll go out and forage for us, but he usually comes back with pizza. So now I'm fog-headed and exhausted, and I really need some tips. I think more than anything, I need some quick paleo meals I can put into rotation until it becomes more natural.

I apologize for the whine-fest, but I don't know anyone who eats paleo. Any advice you guys can give would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!

Replies

• spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is the hardest situation to deal with. Will your hubby read It Starts With Food and you do this together? You still should log all your food and stay under you calorie even if you are eating pizza. Log it so you can visualize it, Try stock up on quick easy foods. Veggies, eggs, bacon, chicken and fish. Anyone can cook this in a skillet and micro wave in a few minutes. Good Luck this is a tough one. Only you know how your body feels. You should eat what makes you feel good. Anything else is not in your best interest.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I think more than anything, I need some quick paleo meals I can put into rotation until it becomes more natural.

How does an omelette sound? They're fairly quick and easy to make, and work as a great meal. Just load it full of veges, meat, etc and bam! - better than pizza.
    You could also just grill up some meat and serve with some steamed veges - takes only about 10-20 minutes. You could even do it in bulk - take an hour out of a day of the week to cook up some meals, seal them in tupperwares ready to heat when hungry.

'Course, you could also give your husband some quick tips on cooking - hey, spaghetti's a lot harder to cook than some fried eggs, I reckon, so it should be no sweat.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Agreed - omelets are super simple. The breakfast recipe that someone posted recently here, too - satisfying with loads of spices, simple as can be (you don't even have to flip it like and omelet).

I also keep kale in the fridge and when I am really hungry - slather some mustard on it and stick some meat and roll it up. Easy as a sandwich.

I read recently that someone ate thinly sliced cabbage with spaghetti sauce. I thought I would try that soon. You could also do it with thin strips of zucchini - let him have the spaghetti noodles, but you both can eat the sauce.

Good luck!
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    hahahaha the comment on your husband's only know how to cook!! Does your husband loves to BBQ/Grill? If so, just throw him some meats and veggie and let him do the job. He'll grow to learn to love cook the foods. It takes much of time and it will speed up only if you come up to him and tell him that you love to watch him cooking and hit him with the rewards.
  • epcooper
    Options
    hahahaha the comment on your husband's only know how to cook!! Does your husband loves to BBQ/Grill? If so, just throw him some meats and veggie and let him do the job. He'll grow to learn to love cook the foods. It takes much of time and it will speed up only if you come up to him and tell him that you love to watch him cooking and hit him with the rewards.

I wish it was that easy....if it was, this wouldn't be such an issue. No, my husband does not grill. He has no interest in any food preparation whatsoever.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    At least switch to gluten free junk? That way he can make gf spaghetti or buy a gf pizza if you really lack the time, and you probably won't feel so bad.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Have you explained to your hubby the difference in how you feel when you eat paleo/primal? I agree if he would read It Starts with Food might help.
    Ask him to become the grillmaster! Also drag out the crockpot and find you some paleo/primal crockpot recipes or tweak some of you crockpot standbys to fit.
    Good luck!!
  • MizMelis26
    MizMelis26 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with all of this. Crock pots are a god send around my house lol I've only been paleo for 4 days, but I did a bit of preparation beforehand and found 7 delicious paleo crock pot recipes that i've been slow-cooking the last few days. I did 7 meals in bulk so i would have a different meal every day of the week and all i'd have to do is take it out of the freezer the night before. I made enough of everything to last for a whole month. So now i only have to really cook a few minutes a day when it comes to veggies and some days i don't have to cook at all.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I haven't understood how people find it hard. It may not be "convenient" like food-in-a-box, but give me a protein (steak, chicken breast), some spices (can be chosen at random), some veggies (asparagus, brussel sprouts, peppers, baby lettuce) - heat the protein through any number of heating methods, put it on the veggies. done.
    I do like how ISWF lays out the meal plan. one from column A, one from column B.
    Robb Wolf does the same thing.

Everyday I Plan-to-Eat. Meaning, I'm thinking about dinner around lunchtime etc. I think about breakfast the night before.

Now getting a partner to help - that is a whole different matter. that can take several arguments/discussions/marital counseling ;) seriously though, food is a very emotional issue and people have a very hard time.
    Just imagine if you were trying to loose weight - would he force you to eat cake? btw, thats about the equivalent of bread.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    So sad to read your post ... Sorry that you are struggling and have a spouse who's not supportive of your efforts.

I think the ideas about the crockpot meals are awesome. And get to the grocery store and stock-up on some fresh veggies. I have an electric veggie steamer and make huge batches of veggies (carrots, broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, green beans) and keep in the fridge and use for days. I also make a big pot of chicken/turkey vegetable soup and eat it for breakfast or lunch or dinner.

I would TRY giving up the grains, cold-turkey. Just concentrate on one-day-at-a-time.

And try to have a heart-to-heart talk with your hubby about how important your new eating plan is to you. I was in the military (eons ago) and realize that alot of military men have a macho-man attitude about life. Since he just returned from Afghanistan, perhaps he thinks he needs to indulge/celebrate now that he's back in the USA.

And keep on logging and posting on MFP! It's a wonderful support group and will help with your motivation.
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    If it's just the two of you, do what I do-- cook for yourself only. It will force him to figure out how to take care of himself one way or the other if you're not taking care of him. Having the hands off approach sometimes tests my control-freak self, but it's made me a better partner because I'm not stressing about what he wants to eat. He has to let me know what I need to get for him for the week, and then we may or may not eat the same meal depending on what looks good to us individually.

My husband lived off takeout until we moved in together. After showing him a few basics, he picked it up and can make a great grilled salmon, among other things. I will say that I retain all the food buying power (because I enjoy grocery shopping), so that helps a lot-- if it's not in the house, it doesn't get cooked.
  • kathcurt2
    kathcurt2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Start with baby steps...I have the same situation you do--two kids and a husband that aren't doing paleo. However, I have managed to come up with ways to get around it. Most spagetti sauces are paleo--tomatos, meat, veggies, etc. Let him make the sauce and the noodles. But get yourself a spagetti squash...takes about an hour to bake and once done, it comes out nice and noodly. And will give you multiple servings. Put the sauce on the squash "noodles" and there you have it--a paleo spagetti plate.

If you don't have lots of time to cook, use frozen veggies to create stir frys or microwave. And get individual servings of frozen fish--they thaw quickly and cook even faster. I get frozen single serving fillets and just keep them in the freezer. That way if hubby brings home pizza, as mine does regularly, you just have to go to the freezer, defrost a fillet in water, and then pan fry for a couple of minutes in olive oil. Then you have dinner without the carbs.

It does take saying "no" on your part. I have had to do that a lot with my hubby. I've been paleo now for about 2.5 months--lost 30 lbs so far and my spouse is finally starting to figure it out. If I say no, then its no. Ultimately, my whole family has been eating better simply because I make sure there are lots of fruit/veggies in each meal. I figure eventually I will convert them all because I have been feeling so much better and am healthier. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would just let the husband to feed himself, and concentrate on your own foods, and keep them simple and always there. Brown a few pounds of ground beef and store in the fridge. Have a number of easy to eat vegetables (like cucumbers), salad mixes in the fridge. Tons of eggs. Whee need to eat, toss salad in the bowl, pour oil over it and eat with ground browned beef cooked with an egg and spice. Or just eggs. Or a quick broiled piece of fish. Or a can of salmon or sardines... It's all better than pizza.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have a husband and son who are not Paleo and I don't ask them to or expect them to. I don't really even cook anything different when I do meals (unless I want something else than whats on the menu). I think you have to take personal responsibility for what you are going to eat and try not to let others decide your compliance to this way of eating. Make menus and PLAN PLAN if you have to. Like a previous poster stated it is actually quite easy to throw some veggies in the steamer and bake/fry/grill or whatever meat. Takes less preparation in my opinion than the other way. If your hubby knows how to do pasta let him (or if you are doing the meals) cook the pasta and have him save some of the sauce/meat mixture for your dinner that you can toss with some Zucchini. Use your Crock pot, freezer, Tupperware, and other means to help you during your busy time!
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I also don't think it takes long to whack a couple of steaks or chicken breasts in the pan and do some quick veg. An even quicker alternative (if you're that strapped for time) is to buy a BBQ chicken and some pre-prepared salad packs. Shake up a week's worth of dressing and away you go.
  • epcooper
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I ended up making spaghetti and meatballs last night (pasta for him and zucchini for me) and it was great. I've also decided to get a stand-alone freezer so I can batch cook when I have time on weekends and have stuff ready to pull out throughout the week. Unfortunately, being stationed in Germany, I can't just ask hubs to run to the grocery for rotisserie chicken or prepared salads (our commissary doesn't have anything pre-made and he'd probably get lost in a German grocery).
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Good plan. I always try to have a zucchini around for quick "pasta", and a head of cauliflower for "rice". I usually make the same meal for the rest of my family, and just make sure there's plenty of veggie for me to sub in for whatever carby thing I serve them. If you get in the habit of making double batches of everything (which I need to get better at), it will really help.

Also, in the Well Fed cookbook, she has great suggestions about lightly steaming veggies ahead of time for the week, so that all you need to do is finish them off when it's time to cook.
  • tinacristina
    tinacristina Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You know using the crockpot is a great tool for both of you.

For one, it's easy and for two, nutritious and three...low carb.

Examples:
    Whole chicken in the pot with veggies and sweet pototoes..a little seasonings and water...done in 6 to 8 hours!
    Pork chops, seasonsings...little broth..done!
    Ribs...some BQ sauce or homemade sauce..done!

You can add rice, salads, veggies or other fillers if you choose for your hubby and or you but the rest of it keeps you on the game too..