Like Tomato Soup with veggies

Options
Dayna154
Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
Like Veggie Tomato Soup

1 to 2 roasted cloves of garlic (thru press or chopped small)
1 to 2 medium sweet onion (chopped)
½ to 1 Cup of the small sweet peppers
2 Cup quartered and sliced zucchini (bite sized pieces)
2 Cup fresh tomatoes in season (out of season roasted or stewed)
1 to 1-1/2 t Chicken bouillon (paste in jar)
2 t Basil (dried/ fresh/ paste)
Lemon pepper to taste
Water or chicken broth as needed.
Sour cream as a topper to be mixed in to make creamy
Amounts are for a fair sized batch

I first parboil and peel my tomatoes. Then roast the garlic (can be done in microwave 10 min) and then run it thru a press and chop the onions first thing and maybe even the peppers. Chop to the size you would want to eat them. Garlic I make pretty small so that I have it throughout the dish the onions and peppers I chop to bite sized pieced, small but not so small I can’t tell I'm eating them. I like the crunch of them.
I add oil to the pan and sauté first the garlic till fragrant and then add the onions once they are starting to glaze a little I add in the sweet pepper and let that sauté till it’s all glazed and the pepper is softened.
While the garlic, onion and peppers sauté I chop the zucchini, depending on the size of the zucchini depends on if I will quarter it, halve it or just slice it whole.
I then will core and slice up my tomatoes saving all of the juice.
Once the garlic, onions and peppers are softened I will add in the zucchini till it softens as well just a little and then add in the tomatoes and seasonings.
I don’t add in any fluids at this point in time until everything has started to cook down and simmer a little. Once everything has cooked down just a little I will decide how much if any water or chicken broth I will add in.

I like mine soupier since I am eating low carb and crave tomato soup. If you wanted it thicker don’t add in as much fluid.
Top with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy. My mom made this for me the other day and I loved it and have eaten it at least once a day for the last week and still love it. I have made a few batches so this is as close to the best one so far.
I like to cook ahead since I have been so busy it makes great leftovers if you make enough. It just tastes better and better. You could also easily add in some meat to it or eat the meat on the side. Put it over rice or pasta, play with the fluid amounts and change it up to how it would sound best to you..
I haven’t paid much attention to the nutrients but know it is SUPER low in fat and lower in carbs. It is also very filling.