Beef Jerky

aemoomoo
aemoomoo Posts: 70 Member
What's the best kind??

Replies

• Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Gosh - I wish I knew too! Have you ever tried to make homemade? I haven't but I think I might try! :smile:
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    I usually get mine from Steve's Original in the PaleoKits - stevesoriginal.com. Stick with the loose packs if you're doing the PaleoKits since it's not so sticky. Or do Just Jerky or the PaleoSticks.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Pure jerky that isn't full of sugars and preservatives is hard to come by and usually quite expensive.

Much cheaper to make your own - very easy to do as long as you have an oven - don't even need a dehydrator
  • aemoomoo
    Pure jerky that isn't full of sugars and preservatives is hard to come by and usually quite expensive.

Much cheaper to make your own - very easy to do as long as you have an oven - don't even need a dehydrator

how to you make it?
  • aemoomoo
    I usually get mine from Steve's Original in the PaleoKits - stevesoriginal.com. Stick with the loose packs if you're doing the PaleoKits since it's not so sticky. Or do Just Jerky or the PaleoSticks.

i've look at his website and went to order but the shipping was more than what i was buying! i understand why but it seems kinda expensive!
  • http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe/index.html

You don't need to use the recipe, but here's the method Alton Brown uses if you don't have a dehydrator :)
  • aemoomoo
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe/index.html

You don't need to use the recipe, but here's the method Alton Brown uses if you don't have a dehydrator :)

thanks!
  • Alton Brown rocks - Good Eats is one of my all-time favorite shows.
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member

i've look at his website and went to order but the shipping was more than what i was buying! i understand why but it seems kinda expensive!

I usually order large from Steve's Original since I quite like just about all of the products, so never have been much aware of shipping on small orders.

For cheaper shipping cost, you might want to try Primal Pacs - primalpacs.com. The beef is really tender and for a small order of 5 packs, I only paid $5.30 for the shipping, so that's not too bad.
  • aemoomoo

I usually order large from Steve's Original since I quite like just about all of the products, so never have been much aware of shipping on small orders.

For cheaper shipping cost, you might want to try Primal Pacs - primalpacs.com. The beef is really tender and for a small order of 5 packs, I only paid $5.30 for the shipping, so that's not too bad.

awesome! thanks!
  • If you would like to try the best beef jerky (imo) that has ever been made on earth, order it from here:

http://www.cedarcreekmarketplace.com/shop-2/jerky-snack-sticks

It's a meat market in Wisconsin (I used to live right down the street) and the jerky is steak sized, thick, and flavorful. It's about $20/lb with shipping included, but everyone that I have ever given some to has just about died from awesomeness overload.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    If you would like to try the best beef jerky (imo) that has ever been made on earth, order it from here:

http://www.cedarcreekmarketplace.com/shop-2/jerky-snack-sticks

It's a meat market in Wisconsin (I used to live right down the street) and the jerky is steak sized, thick, and flavorful. It's about $20/lb with shipping included, but everyone that I have ever given some to has just about died from awesomeness overload.

There is no list of ingredients on their website, can you give them to me off the package? I am allergic to chili peppers so it is very difficult for me to find safe beef jerky. Making my own this weekend with smoked sea salt though!

• There is no list of ingredients on their website, can you give them to me off the package? I am allergic to chili peppers so it is very difficult for me to find safe beef jerky. Making my own this weekend with smoked sea salt though!

Darn! I just thew out the packaging from the last batch I ordered. But I do have their email address: cedarcreek@cedarcreekappleton.com

They responded to my last email super quick and I'm sure they'd be able to tell you what they use in the marinade.

I'm going to attempt **crosses fingers** to use up a turkey tenderloin by turning it into turkey jerky. I think my biggest problem will be getting the slices thin enough on my own. I have a dehydrator, so I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it ends up.
  • Alisi1234
    Alisi1234 Posts: 131 Member
    I make my own. I cut the beef into one inch pieces, place in food dehydrator for 5hrs. keep in fridge. soo yummy!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member

how to you make it?

You can either slice meat thin, marinade & spice to your liking and put it in the oven for a few hours on about 200 degrees

or you can grind meat and use a jerky press to make jerky - we use this one - http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJX-5-American-Harvest-Jumbo/dp/B001795P3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348573007&sr=8-1&keywords=jerky+press

we spray some cooking spray on small grid oven safe rack and then press it out on there and put in the oven for a few hours.

My husband hunts so we usually make a ground venison jerky - but it does have to be refridgerated. It is very yummy. We have looked into trying to sell it but there was too much red tape around selling meat products...
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    I have never found a suitable beef jerky in stores, and I guess I am cheap because I don't think the paleo friendly options online are worth it for the amount you get.

I make my own beef jerky with my dehydrator (so worth the investment!). I either buy cheap beef roasts when they are on sale, partially freeze them and slice them thinly myself before marinating them in the fridge for a day, or I go the lazy route and just get beef stir fry strips when they are on sale and slice any that are too thick into a more reasonable size.

I like being able to use my own marinade and make different flavour batches (depending on what spices I use). After a year of experimentation I've settled on a yummy marinade and a few different spice combos that are regular in my rotation. I try to make sure I have enough to fill every tray in the dehydrator because once it's done, it doesn't last long! Our non-paleo friends love to raid my jerky supply when they know I've made a batch :D
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    I totally agree about dehydrator! My husband is still crazy happy we got it. I haven't done beef jerky, but I do turkey jerky all the time, from the turkey breast. The rest of the turkey gets processed into the bone broth and roasted drumsticks. Super-convenient.

I will try to make beef jerky this year once we get the beef heart with out cow. I hear that beef heart makes a good jerky. I wasn't happy about a stew from it, so it's my only hope!