5K times

Options
On October 20, I'm running my very first 5K. I have realistic expectations and goals - Run the entire course without having to walk and keep a steady pace while breathing (vs. panting).

What is a good goal to run a 5K? I'm hoping 30 minutes, about a 10 minute pace. Is that realistic? What were your times like? Mind you, this is a regular old 5k.. not a mud run, or anything fun/different like that.

(I'm a 24 year old female, 146 pounds, 5'8... relatively "in shape")

Replies

• kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sounds do-able.

I just ran my first one in September. I am still overweight, but had just finished C25K, and had been stretching the distance the last few weeks to 5K (walking/jogging mixed after the workout was done). During training, I was right around 40 minutes for a 5k. Goal was 38 minutes...wishful thinking was 36min.

I came in at 33:15.....there is something about the adrenaline of being out there with a whole bunch of other people.

I'm quite a bit older and heavier than you....and had not made any effort to be "in shape" until about May of this year.

YOU CAN DO IT! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What pace are you running now?

Most people run a little faster on race day than during training, so if you're running 10 minute miles now, you should easily do that during the race, as long as you're doing some of your training in similar conditions (ie, outside, with hills and wind and weather, instead of just on a treadmill).

Locally, the men who win 5k tend to be around 16 minutes or so. The women who win around 20 minutes. The middle of the pack is about 30 minutes, and some folks finish around 45, with walkers around 60 minutes.

Any time you cross a finish line is a good time.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I started running about a 9:15 pace on the treadmill, but I have no idea what my pace is outside.. but it's slower. Maybe closer to 10 or a hair over. My HRM doesn't measure my pace or distance, so it's a guessing game.

I definitely didn't register for the race with the intent of winning, but rather finishing and checking it off my bucket list :) Hopefully, I'll run near someone at the same pace with me to keep me steady!
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Locally, the men who win 5k tend to be around 16 minutes or so. The women who win around 20 minutes.

LOL, I forgot these are supposed to be races. I just want to finish faster than I used to walk it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started running about a 9:15 pace on the treadmill, but I have no idea what my pace is outside.. but it's slower. Maybe closer to 10 or a hair over. My HRM doesn't measure my pace or distance, so it's a guessing game.

Go on the Runkeeper or Mapmyrun websites and plot out a 3.1 mile map around your neighborhood. Time yourself, post the activity to the site, and it'll tell you your pace. (Or you can use the apps if you have a smartphone.)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    In general, the first "serious" goal for a runner is a 10 minute mile, or about a 30 minute 5k. But only you know what your abilities are.