female martial artists...

Options
Have you ever been in a situation like this?
I sprained my ankle (phase 2 inversion sprain) 2 days before a world championships. It hurt really bad, but I wasn't about to miss it. I took pain meds, wrapped my ankle up tight, and got ready to go. Unfortunately, there were no other female blackbelts in my division to compete against, but my instructor wanted me to walk through my form and weapon form anyway just for practice. I had bad balance, but still managed a reasonable score.
Then, after I got done, a male blackbelt walked up to me and said, "You know, next time you should just wear a cast. You will get more sympathy that way."
SYMPATHY???? I was in intense pain the whole way through both forms, and since I was the only one there, I didn't need sympathy because I already had the world title!
I wanted to kick him in the balls!!! Why do some people have to act this way? Just cause i'm a girl doesn't mean I will fake an injury for a trophy!
Has this happened to any other women and how do you feel about it?

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am a Man (he is not BTW) and Man, Woman or Child does not deserve to be treated that way. You showed up injured at the WORLD championships!! I would say that says something about your perseverance and dedication. If I was ever to hear ANYONE say something like that it would not end well for them!! I am sorry that he did this and would say he did not represent his school well. But you did!!!
  • mdplopez3
    mdplopez3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    He needs to reevaluate his honor and integrity. We live by the tenets of Tae Kwon Do:
    Honor
    Integrity
    Perseverance
    Self Control
    Indomitable Sprit.
    YOU exemplified all 5. He on the other hand sounds like a win at all costs, trophy chaser.

BTW Congratulations on your title :)
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with people like this. I hate to say it, but most of the people I have dealt with like this have been guys. I was just wondering if this stuff happens to other female martial artists, or if I just attract jerks?mainly thinking of this guy just makes me laugh, but I was really frustrated about it for awhile.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it had anything to do with you being a female, out of curiosity? Maybe he is just a jerk in general.

Edit: Congrats on toughing it out, by the way, you've got some balls!
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to a friend of mine just a few hours ago, who was telling me about why she stopped going to the local kickboxing club - because one of the male members yelled at her in front of others because she chose to step out of the circuit to talk to the general manager. She is a very sensitive person and couldn't understand why someone would treat her that way. She has seen a couple other male members around town who have encouraged her to come back, telling her, "that guy is just a jerk - let it go." Great advice it seems, from some great guys.

I think there are just some guys who just don't want women in the sport - or any male dominated sport. But, that is their problem, not ours. Women have just as much right to be there. Seek out the men in the sport who are accepting and hang out with them, so when you are confronted with the jerks, you will not care about it so much.

Google Ronda Rousey - go to her official web page and watch some of the videos, especially the interviews. She talks about some of this in one of her videos, where she's speaking to a young girl who is interested in the sport. She is very inspiring and comforting. She's quite the bad-*kitten*. Love it!
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it had anything to do with you being a female, out of curiosity? Maybe he is just a jerk in general.

Edit: Congrats on toughing it out, by the way, you've got some balls!

Agreed. He's probably just a sore soul. Nothing against you nor your being a female.

When weakness is shown by an opponent, where would you strike?
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't understand..he said this because your ankle was taped up??

I don't think I have ever been to a competition where I have not seen numerous people competing with ankles, toes etc taped up. We suck it up and compete...he sounds like a real jerk to think it was someone looking for sympathy!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I didn't need sympathy because I already had the world title!

You're 22 yrs old and have the World Title? In what style?
  • Sammybunny711
    Sammybunny711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ugh! What a meanie! Congrats to you for showing up and persevering through an injury!
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Re: sexism in the dojang: I was complaining about not getting to spar men, but that has changed since I mentioned it on the board. My lead instructor saw me get totally pwned in our recent tournament, so he's decided that I now get to spar at every class, even if it's just him and me. :wink:

I have never, ever had any man verbalize to me that I am somehow not worthy of training because of my gender. I think that my general klutziness and lack of flexibility has them more worried than my femaleness.

I hate when there is a tournament and no women show up. At the last tournament that I went to, we had nine female black belts over 30, and we were all moms. That was excellent!
    He needs to reevaluate his honor and integrity. We live by the tenets of Tae Kwon Do:
    Honor
    Integrity
    Perseverance
    Self Control
    Indomitable Sprit.

He lacks self-control, and I'm pretty sure that being a jerk shows a deficit of indomitable spirit.
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    I just don't think he would have said that to my face if I was a guy, but who knows, he might just be a jerk and not a sexist jerk...
  • raygunn_viola
    Options
    @TheRoadDog, I have multiple titles in United States Karate Alliance and United Martial Arts Hall of Fame (USKA and UMAHoF), I've been competing since I was 16.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    @TheRoadDog, I have multiple titles in United States Karate Alliance and United Martial Arts Hall of Fame (USKA and UMAHoF), I've been competing since I was 16.

Not familiar with the lineage of either organization. Congratulations, though.