hello i am new

Options
Hi my name is colleen. I am in the process of being selected to have baractric surgery. In canada there is a very extensive process to go through. where i am from we do not even have a dr to preform the surgery. we have to go away for our surgery. i have decided that i am having it do not know if the rny or the sleeve. the surgen decides that for us. has any body had problems with their liver show up on ultrasound. that is what happened with me. i am also diebetic on 2000 mg of metformin. very hard on the gut. I am giving up pop (soda) and that is hard cuz i crave the bubbles. it kinda calms me down. and i need some suggestions on how i can deal with my feelings with out eating. what do you guys do to releve stress. oh and i need some friends that have had or are going to have any thpe of baractric surgery ok so i am done my post thanks for reading

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I had the RNY in May, while ultimately it was my decision which surgery to get it also was my doctor's recommendation based on the impact it has on diabetes which i had developed. I loved pop and drank it until the day I had to start my liver shrinking diet. I did start drinking diet pop and worked on drinking less between the first doctor's visit and the time I gave it up, but it was one of my weaknesses and it was one of the last vices to go. I have never been an emotional eater, you might consider looking into getting a therapist to address that. I happen to find that stress has less impact on me now overall, I do not know if it is from the exercise which is a known stress relief or if it's the improvement in my mood due to the weight loss.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had RNY almost 6 months ago now. It was the best decision for me. I have been diabetic since childhood, but have been in very poor-terrible control for most of my adult life. I am in better control now than ever. I no longer require any meds for blood pressure, neuropathic pain, or cholesterol. My husband is in the qualifying stage for surgery. He is hopefully going to be able to get a sleeve in December. He is not diabetic so the surgeon recommended the sleeve for him. Most of us that are over weight have fatty livers. I had to go on a "liver shrinking diet" before surgery to help decrease the size of my liver and sort of get it out of the surgeons way.

Bariatric surgery is a wonderful tool to help you achieve your weightloss goals. It is not a cure for obesity. Unfortunately, the surgery only scrambled my guts around...it didnt do anything to fix my head. We all still have to work hard and address those issues that caused us to be overweight in the first place in order to really be successful. Best of luck to you!