Thinking about surgery

I am thinking about trying to have surgery to help with my weight loss. I am almost 190 pounds over the healthy weight and am diabetic as well. I have not talked to my doctor about it yet, afraid that insurance will not help with the payments. So I am trying to do everything I can to lose weight and help get started but looking for advice and encouragement about this process.

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Do a lot of research. I researched for years before making my decision to have RNY. It was the right choice for me. I am so thankful to have my life back!!
  • do you fear insurance wont pay or did you already call and ask? Just call and ask if they cover bariatric surgery. Mine covered the band or gastric bypass but not the sleeve. Having diabetes is in your favor to qualify. Dont give up, your health is worth it.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Do your research for sure. I actually kicked the idea around for about 5 years before I finally got really serious about it. I have to say that for me, gastric bypass has been a life saver. My diabetes is in better control than anytime in my adult life, I no longer take any meds for blood pressure, neuropathic pain, or cholesterol. It was truly the best decision for me.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    when you think you have tried EVERYTHING try more reserch more! it took me a long time before comitting i even cancelled one date as i lost 100lb on my own!
    good luck x :wink:
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    In doing your research be sure to find the best bariatric surgeon in your area. Most if not all have seminars that are free to the public that will give you an idea about what the surgery entails. They also should have someone that will contact your insurance to advocate on your behalf. Best of luck to you!!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Im a lot bigger than you...still, lol. But my diabetes went away 4 days after my OP and now my blood glucose is perfect. Its as if I was never diabetic....and Im still super morbidly obese.

Good luck! Research and talk to people to have had it. Google Obesity Help and you will find a wealth of information.
  • I thought long and hard before having it and so far it's was a good decision for me