New and without a thyroid for 11+ years

Options
tawny75
tawny75 Posts: 10 Member
Hi All

I am Nicky, I am in the UK and I have had thyroid problems since puberty, when I had my daughter 13 years ago it threw my thyroid out completely and after wildly going from hyper to hypo and back again, they decided to nuke it with radio iodine in feb 2001. I now take 250mcg Levothyroxine a day and have been stable on my dosage for about 5 years. During the time of my instablilty, I suffered sever TED and have had to have 4 reconstructive surgeries on each eye. Don't worry, this is not a poor me post.

I do however struggle to lose weight, I lost 42lb between March and December last year and have kind of hit a plateau ever since, so I am here and trying again. At least I haven't put it all back on!

So Hello one and all!

Replies

• nunat919
    nunat919 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost about 25 lbs since last December and is in the same position as you are. I keep losing and gaining the same 5 lbs back. All I can do is just keep moving forward. Good luck to you!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicky and Nunat919,

Seems as if that is what happens when Hypothyroid enters the picture. Very slow loss and back and forth a lot. The main thing is to hang in there and be proud that you don't gain it all back. That is so easy to do. Hang in there and welcome to posting on this very informative sight.

Ginny :flowerforyou:
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed a couple years ago due to thyroid cancer. I've FINALLY been able to drop about ten pounds but it took a LOT more effort than ever before. Someone in my thryoid cancer support group said her endo told her we have to work twice as hard to lose the weight. I do have to say though, when I had TIME to exercise every day over the summer (I'm a teacher), my other hypo symptoms were helped. I lost weight a lot more slowly than I used to, but having other symptoms at bay was nice. We can do it! just takes a little more push.. not fair, but fact :)