athletic vs. bulky

Options
kelseyhere
kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
I always see women posting that they can't lift too much because they start to look "bulky." This always makes me feel a little bit sad inside because...

a. why do you want to be weak?
b. it's just not true.

Women have to really lift a lot, like a lot a lot a lot , IMO, before they start to look bulky. I also have a feeling many women might describe me that as bulky, although I consider myself to look more athletic. So I just want to ask, what is the difference to you between athletic and bulky (use pics if you want)? Is there a difference? To me Anna Kournakova (or however you spell it) is athletic, and not at all bulky. She definitely doesn't have the legs of a model though. She is strong and probably can't wear a size 0, but she still looks damn good. Do you embrace 'strong is the new skinny'? Or would you rather just be thin? What direction do you think society is moving in?

I'm not looking for any concrete answers, just more curious what women think.

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    This is a pointless topic because it invarabily ends in people arguing their opinions about what looks best on a woman, which is ridiculous.

There is alot of bad feelings on MFP against women who don't lift, and it gets really annoying. I don't lift because I honestly don't care to spend time in my day towards being strong (and no, I don't "want to be weak," I just look at my priorities and "being strong" isn't one of my life goals). However, I do take time to do cardio exercises because I want to be thin and eat a lot of food. That's it. And there is nothing wrong with it so please be careful about pushing lifting on others.:grumble:

If you want to be strong, lift, and deal with the changes (if any) to the look of your body accordingly.
    If you don't, don't.

And don't start conversations about what looks best.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Jan, you are so smart sometimes :) I guess it's because I came from that place of trying to do endless cardio with little to no results. My body never looked better, sure I could run, but I still looked "skinny fat." It wasn't until I started working with a trainer and he turned me on to lifting that I realize that was the secret to the body I wanted. You are lucky to have a naturally leaner look without lifting, but that's just not my body. You are right that when it comes down to it you should just do the workout you enjoy because in the long run that's what will make you stick to it. I definitely don't want to push lifting on anyone, just want to open up more women to the idea of it because the perception still exists that only guys can play in the weight room. I'm pretty big on the whole independent woman thing too and I think that's why lifting appeals to me. It feels good to be strong and be able to lift my aging dog into the truck without struggling or carry her 35 lb. bag of food out of the store one handed.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty lean looking body, the kind where it would be impossible for me to look bulky. I used to be a cardio queen too and like you I now have a trainer where I just do whatever he tells me to, which is mostly weights etc. I agree that it really is the way to get the body that you want, I haven't really lost any weight in the 4 or 5 months that I started but I look SO much better and a lot thinner. I really want that defined swimsuit model stomach and I'm not going to get that without a few sit-ups etc.

I've come to really like doing weights, especially arms because it means I get to sit down the whole time :P

I'm still weak though, the most I can like is about 20kg but on average it's more like 10kg... I am soo feeble haha
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I agree Kelsey (and thanks for not taking my post agressively): It's all about what we want in life...I agree I want to have the body where I can do my normal daily activities without struggling and that's what's important. I am fortunate in that I have a naturally muscular genetic makeup.

And I do think there is alot of ignorance out there amongst women about lifting and "bulking up." :ohwell: I think the best way to fight this is to celebrate women that are healthy in many ways, including lifting. But not at the expense of those who prefer not to lift, not talking about how "strong women are sexier" etc etc etc. And always, to be a good example and to share your experiences.

Me? I don't mind being "skinny fat." It makes me happy. And honestly, it makes me laugh because when you are thin your muscles show more, and people are always commenting on "my guns"...and I have to gently correct them that I actually am not that strong, it's just that I am thin so my muscles show more. I will point them in your direction for a truely strong woman, in every sense of the word. :flowerforyou: