Week 3 (9/26 - 10/4) Mini Challenges

Options
I hope these first two weeks of the 10 Week Trim have been good for you. Thanks to all those who are continuing to participate.

I’m going to jump right in with Week 3’s exercise and food challenges. ..

Pushups were recommended by the amazing user ncl001as the exercise challenge this week. I concur with this oldie, but goodie to get our hearts pumpin’ and muscles bulging. So, do a push-up, then another, every day. There are a couple ways you can go about trying to improve throughout the week. You can do a push-up, then repeat and try to beat the number you did the day before, or you can time yourself. Give yourself 30 seconds, 45, hell even a minute to do as many pushups as you can. Then the next day, see if you can improve on that number. There are a bunch of ways to alter the traditional push-up so don’t hesitate to tackle the variations. (Crow or Spider push-ups are a personal pain point to me so I’ll be focusing on them).

I received a recommendation from the totally awesome Krescine for this week’s food challenge. Try a new healthy recipe (lower fat, lower carb, lower sugar, lower sodium, etc) and share the cooking directions with the group. For example, take a favorite recipe and alter it to make it a little healthier.
So there you have it. Do some push-ups and get creative in the kitchen. Return here and keep us updated on your progress.

Have a great week everyone and don’t forget to log this week’s weight in the weigh-in spreadsheet located at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlVx8BjrK2frdGEtWXVlOXZFYThFeXpCdHBDUlFSMlE

Replies

• BridgetForFitness
    Options
    I hope these first two weeks of the 10 Week Trim have been good for you. Thanks to all those who are continuing to participate.

I’m going to jump right in with Week 3’s exercise and food challenges. ..

Pushups were recommended by the amazing user ncl001as the exercise challenge this week. I concur with this oldie, but goodie to get our hearts pumpin’ and muscles bulging. So, do a push-up, then another, every day. There are a couple ways you can go about trying to improve throughout the week. You can do a push-up, then repeat and try to beat the number you did the day before, or you can time yourself. Give yourself 30 seconds, 45, hell even a minute to do as many pushups as you can. Then the next day, see if you can improve on that number. There are a bunch of ways to alter the traditional push-up so don’t hesitate to tackle the variations. (Crow or Spider push-ups are a personal pain point to me so I’ll be focusing on them).

I received a recommendation from the totally awesome Krescine for this week’s food challenge. Try a new healthy recipe (lower fat, lower carb, lower sugar, lower sodium, etc) and share the cooking directions with the group. For example, take a favorite recipe and alter it to make it a little healthier.
    So there you have it. Do some push-ups and get creative in the kitchen. Return here and keep us updated on your progress.

Have a great week everyone and don’t forget to log this week’s weight in the weigh-in spreadsheet located at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlVx8BjrK2frdGEtWXVlOXZFYThFeXpCdHBDUlFSMlE

Awesome Week 3 Challenge!!!
  • bfonju
    Options
    Oh great mini challenge for week atarting 09/25. I'll go for this one

Brenda
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    This may be the push I need to brave *real* push-ups instead of staying on my knees, lol. I can't even remember the last time I cooked, though. Maybe someone will inspire me :)
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    This may be the push I need to brave *real* push-ups instead of staying on my knees, lol. I can't even remember the last time I cooked, though. Maybe someone will inspire me :)

You crack me up. I'll ponder and see if I have any super easy, wonderfully tasty, uber healthy recipes. Kinda sounds too good to be true though.
  • ncl001
    Options
    My fitnesscoach from my Spine workout class (lol-have bno idea how to call it), told me, that if you can not do many push ups you should try to get in the the same position and try to hold it 30-60 sec. then repeat it. it is really hard to stay that long in this position. have a wonderful start into week 3:O)
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    My fitnesscoach from my Spine workout class (lol-have bno idea how to call it), told me, that if you can not do many push ups you should try to get in the the same position and try to hold it 30-60 sec. then repeat it. it is really hard to stay that long in this position. have a wonderful start into week 3:O)

The exercise you are describing is called "planks". They are really hard to do but I absolutely love them. I find it easier to do pushups than planks. The most I've been able to hold a plank is 30 secs. Most challenges I've been involved in has planks as one of the weekly challenges. Holding your body weight up is not easy when you're carrying around a lot of extra weight!! Fantastic strength builder though. Maybe by the end of this 10 week challenge, we will be able to do planks.....that would be fun!!!:laugh: or :sad: depending on how you look at it!!
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    Wed. Sept 26th: 50 pushups
  • ncl001
    Options

The exercise you are describing is called "planks". They are really hard to do but I absolutely love them. I find it easier to do pushups than planks. The most I've been able to hold a plank is 30 secs. Most challenges I've been involved in has planks as one of the weekly challenges. Holding your body weight up is not easy when you're carrying around a lot of extra weight!! Fantastic strength builder though. Maybe by the end of this 10 week challenge, we will be able to do planks.....that would be fun!!!:laugh: or :sad: depending on how you look at it!!

You are wright. Sometimes i have to discribe what i mean, because i don`t know the english word. so thanks. i will remember that word:O))) so i did planks last night in my gym class. it is hard, but sometimes it is easier for me to to that 5 times then do 10 push ups. but you are really good with the push ups.good job. it is amazing. 50,mmh i think i have to work until next chrismas to get 50 push ups done:O))))) so, wow...
  • ncl001
    Options

I need to say it again...wow
  • ncl001
    Options
    did 8 push ups and 5 planks :tongue:
  • bfonju
    Options
    Wednesday Sept, 26: Held plank position for 60 secs;
    Completed 21 pushups in 60 secs although by midnight of Wednesday.

MEAL: Fufu & Eru
    For dinner I cooked an African vegetable dish referred to as fufu and eru. The garri (fufu or couscous) which is sold in any African store was cooked and divided into smaller portions than I used to before.
    The vegetables which are cooked with spinach; I used only 2 tablespoons of palm oil instead of the unusual 1 cup: to reduce the saturated fat content of the meal.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

For dinner I cooked an African vegetable dish referred to as fufu and eru. The garri (fufu or couscous) which is sold in any African store was cooked and divided into smaller portions than I used to before.
    The vegetables which are cooked with spinach; I used only 2 tablespoons of palm oil instead of the unusual 1 cup: to reduce the saturated fat content of the meal.

this sounds good!! for the vegetables, do you use any kind? and does it turn out better with cooked spinach or would raw spinach be ok? I'm a huge spinach fan, but not so much when it's cooked.lol.
  • Factory_Reset
    Options
    For wed: 10 regular push ups, 20 on my knees.
    Thurs: 10 regular, 20 on my knees, and 20 walking planks(found I loved them doing the 30 day shred!)

a favorite recipe of mine lately is spaghetti squash with newmans own sockerooni sauce. I put the squash in the microwave for 1-2 mins before cutting it length wise. the inside has to be cleaned out like a pumpkin( we roast the seeds later too). you put it shell side up/squash side down on a baking sheet.....you can salt/pepper it if you like. Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 45-60mins, depending on the size. the inside should be really easy to scrape out and the shell should not be hard anymore. if it's under cooked the squash will be crunchy. while the squash cooks I simmer the sauce. sometimes I put lean turkey burger in it and other times we just grill chicken to go with it. we also steam some veggies to go with the meal. It's a pretty cheap, easy meal. my kids love it too(they're 8, 7, 2, 11mo). the squash is pretty low in calories....I think it was 40-45 for a cup, no fat, and only 10carbs. the sauce has 70cals per 1/2 cup, 2g fat, and 12 carbs. there's also 460mg sodium in the sauce but if you don't add salt to the squash or other items in the dinner that's all the sodium for the meal. It's very filling and reheats pretty nicely for lunch the next day too!
  • Factory_Reset
    Options

that's awesome!!
  • Factory_Reset
    Options
    did 8 push ups and 5 planks :tongue:

good job! both are tough moves.
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options

Great job reducing the amount of fat you use in this recipe.
  • tinawp70
    tinawp70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ok I cant do a "normal" push up :( that being said I only did 8 pushups (on knees) yesterday. Today 9/27 i did 27 total :) Came across program that I'm sure ya'll already have heard about the hundredpushups that's suppose to condition you to be able to do 100 at the end of 6 wks. Today was my first day so we will see.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    Options
    ok I cant do a "normal" push up :( that being said I only did 8 pushups (on knees) yesterday. Today 9/27 i did 27 total :) Came across program that I'm sure ya'll already have heard about the hundredpushups that's suppose to condition you to be able to do 100 at the end of 6 wks. Today was my first day so we will see.

I've got that on my phone but haven't started it yet. Way to go for doing more pushups than the day before. You rock!
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    Options
    Okay... so crow pushups are the devil but I'm trying to do them during 6W6P. Hey, has anyone else heard of Morningstar Chipole Black Bean Burgers? I've had them in place of regular ground beef patties a couple times this week. I'll admit, after trying Boca Burgers (gag me with a spoon) I was skeptical but I absolutely love them. We grilled them on the BBQ but you can cook them in the microwave.

You can see the nutrition facts here...
    http://www.morningstarfarms.com/morningstar-farms-chipotle-black-bean-burger.renderImageText.html?BID=69680&MD5=e442d56f458643fad744ed253d731af8&FT=MorningStarFarmsChipotleBlackBeanBurger_18531&productORrecipe=product&freeTextPresent=no

One of the only hold-ups I have with this product is the amount of sodium. 700 mg per patty (EEEK). But I've managed to work it into my day and stay under my sodium allowance if I plan ahead.

What are some of your finds?
  • Factory_Reset
    Options
    Okay... so crow pushups are the devil but I'm trying to do them during 6W6P. Hey, has anyone else heard of Morningstar Chipole Black Bean Burgers? I've had them in place of regular ground beef patties a couple times this week. I'll admit, after trying Boca Burgers (gag me with a spoon) I was skeptical but I absolutely love them. We grilled them on the BBQ but you can cook them in the microwave.

You can see the nutrition facts here...
    http://www.morningstarfarms.com/morningstar-farms-chipotle-black-bean-burger.renderImageText.html?BID=69680&MD5=e442d56f458643fad744ed253d731af8&FT=MorningStarFarmsChipotleBlackBeanBurger_18531&productORrecipe=product&freeTextPresent=no

One of the only hold-ups I have with this product is the amount of sodium. 700 mg per patty (EEEK). But I've managed to work it into my day and stay under my sodium allowance if I plan ahead.

What are some of your finds?

I LOVE these!! we buy them in bulk at costco and have them on the flat bread.we also bbq them. and they do taste alot better than the boca burgers.