Straight leg deadlifts

Options
bahacca
bahacca Posts: 878 Member
Ummm yeah. If my legs aren't sore tomorrow, I'll be SHOCKED.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    yep. they'll light up your hamstrings. I've done them a handful of times and it doesnt take much to really get them sore. lots of stretching goes on.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    they're meant to be "stiff" leg not straight :smile:

Slight knee bend but that knee bend stays the same the whole time hinging at the hip.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Slight knee bend but that knee bend stays the same the whole time hinging at the hip.

And lift heavy, at least your body weight.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

And lift heavy, at least your body weight.

I think this is a bit too vague of a recommendation.

OP, just progress each workout. Add 5 pounds or so each time you do SLDLs.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I agree. And it's actually one of the exercises (like good mornings) where if done correctly you actually don't need that much weight to really work the muscles. And as always, nail that form for these before progressing.

Coincidentally, did a little vid on these the other day.
  • bahacca
    Options
    I only used the 45 bar for them. Wanted to be sure form was OK as I'm sure they are ones that can damage your back fairly easily if done incorrectly. I kind of like my back, so I'm careful with form.
    And I of course had the slight bend in the knees;-)
    And, yes, it should be stiff leg. Tee heee. Who names these things??? Same guy who thought up tight end, I guess;-)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Can someone check my form? The black socks clash with the sneakers though.

092012-001.jpg
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

092012-001.jpg

I wouldn't do them in the smith.... if you can help it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Always hated this exercise, prefer good mornings, although I don't like those much either!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    LOL good form except neck should be packed ie. nuetral.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

092012-001.jpg

I wouldn't do them in the smith.... if you can help it.

It's bad that I noticed that too.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is with good mornings, but I can't really feel them, but I can't up the weights.

I think maybe I should do them with dumbbells instead of a barbell so balancing the bar and feeling like I'm gonna fall at the bottom are out of the equation?
  • 8Spokes
    Options
    Get your form down, work you way up in weight and then go beastmode when you're comfortable. Took me a little while to gather the nerve to move more than my body weight for SLDLs---that said, legs is absolutely my favorite day in the gym :D

It's amazing what your body can do when you don't let your mind talk you out of it!
  • bahacca
    Options
    beast mode-that dude is hard core.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

Wait, aren't those Romanian Deadlifts? Or is there really not much difference between RDLs and SLDLs?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Yes they are RDL's. AFAIK SLDL is rounding of the lower back at a much lower weight. I've never done them though. Risk vs reward seems a bit off to me.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Yes they are RDL's. AFAIK SLDL is rounding of the lower back at a much lower weight. I've never done them though. Risk vs reward seems a bit off to me.

Yeah, that's why I stick to RDLs. The depth is self-correcting (i.e. people with varying flexibility/mobility can do them).