Are dizzy spells a symptom?!?!?

Options
Hi! I'm 22 and have had hypothyroidism since I was 16.. after I had my son when I was 20 my levels went completely out of whack and they had to increase my medicine dose a ton.. Anyways periodically I've gotten dizzy spells off and on since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and lately I've been getting them more frequently and its affecting my quality of life! I'll feel super super dizzy and my body will feel heavy and I'll feel like I really just need to lie down when they occur and I've gotten these dizzy spells at the worst possible times too (while driving, during exams at school,etc..) I don't want people to think its anxiety after i said that thought because I've gotten them when I was doing absolutely nothing as well... I always figured they were probaly a symptom of my hypothyroidism and when I told my doc he said yes, when your levels are off there are all kinds of symptoms that can occur and just told me to make sure I stay on top of my medicine and left it at that.. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this or if it could possibly be something else causing these dizzy spells and if anyone has any advice on what I should do.. Hopefully its not something I need to be too concerned about! Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's related to hypo or not, but I was dizzy for about 3 years, almost all the time, but some days were worse than others. I had a lot of migraines, so I thought it had something to do with that.

Now that I think about it though, that has something to do with what brought me to the doctor in the first place for the hypo. I would get really grumpy and dizzy and hungry... and my coworkers told me that they were tired of my tantrums when I didn't get a timely lunch break. They urged me to get checked out by a doctor, because it's just not normal to get light headed just because my lunch break was a half hour later than it was supposed to be.

Honestly though, what really helped the dizzy spells and the migraines was changing my sleep schedule. I was working retail hours at the time, and staying up late or getting up early was a constant issue. Now that I go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning, I feel a thousand times better.

If I were you, I'd mention it to your doctor. My general practitioner couldn't help much with the dizzy issue, but my neurologist was a miracle worker.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    PS, your age might have something to do with it... my dizzy migraine issues were all in my 20's... I'm 30 and fantastic now... I think maybe it might have also had something to do with hormones too.
  • FindingFit127
    FindingFit127 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply.. It's nice to know I'm not the only one and I really have just wanted answers! I'm tired of having these dizzy spells affect my life in a negative way.. I'm gonna def try getting on a better sleep schedule and look into seeing a neurologist as well! Thanks so much!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, a variety of things can cause dizzy spells, but yes, dizziness is definitely a symptom of both hyper and hypothyrodism. When I was really low, I was dizzy all the time... and when I was really high, I was dizzy all the time.

I'm a big pusher of "try lifting, it helps stabilize hormones," because even though my levels are still very wonky (I have a kind of unusual thyroid situation), many of my symptoms have disappeared.
  • FindingFit127
    Options
    whats try lifting? Its so nice to know that i'm not the only one that has had to deal with this
  • FindingFit127
    Options
    do you mean lifting weights? lol sorry if i'm misinterperationg you?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    do you mean lifting weights? lol sorry if i'm misinterperationg you?

Lol, yes, strength training.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Vertigo is one of the ailments that seems to plague hypo's... also low blood sugar & low or high blood pressure. A good resource to learn about symptoms is stopthethyroidmadness.com it has been invaluable to me.
    You've had good answers here. I've had dizziness from a multitude of things. I have a "sensitive" system, so it doesn't take much to get dizziness.
    Hope you can figure out what is causing yours.
    Blessings,
    Debby
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I've had horrible dizzy spells, seeing floaters in my periphereal vision, super low blood pressure, ect since my twenties. Doctors blew me off - including the one who told me to just eat more salt! - until my current GP suggested that even though my levels are in the "normal" range, perhaps they aren't normal for me since they are on the low side of normal. I'm just starting generic synthyroid, but WOW! I haven't had this much energy in ages! It's enlightening. I've only had one dizzy episode in the last week, as compared to my usual 6-7. Finding a doc that took all my symptoms and pointed at the one thing everyone overlooked has been a Godsend.