Ok, horrified to ask this but....

Options
I have the equipment and I've read the book. I'm excited to get fit. But..... My lovely children gave me hemorrhoids from pregnancy/ labor. They don't bother me on a daily basis but if there is straining involved they can flare up for a few days. I'm seriously scared to start this program out of fear it's going to give me terrible flared up hemorrhoids that don't go away bc of the constant straining with heavy weights. Any one else deal with anything similar? Any suggestions?

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    After my pregnancy and birth of my 10lb 7 oz daughter, I had them really bad. They went away with lots of fiber. However, when I started lifting, they came back with a vengeance. I think the increase in protein had something to do with it too. I finally did some research and started taking citris bioflavenoids and they've been better ever since. I have horrible varicose veins too and it's helped those.
    So to answer your question, the lifting did in fact aggregate mine, but the supplement keeps them at bay.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to sound weird, but if you have roids, the best thing you could ever do is get a squattypotty or build a stool, or get a conversion kit for your toilet. I use a squatty potty - which is just a stiff plastic rounded stool that fits around the toilet.. Anyways, if you look into it, the human body wasn't designed to poop whilst sitting - it's better to squat. Asian countries use low to the ground squat toilets and they don't deal with hemorrhoids..

I found out about it while cruising the miscelaneous section of bodybuilding.com wondering my butt was being extra difficult post-lifting... you'd be surprised how many of them use the toilets. Anyways, it makes for the best poops ever and I have no evil roids to speak of now..

ANYWAYS. The other health benefits are pretty crazy. apparently the way we sit, and the way our bowels sit as a result of that, there is always a little extra left in the colon - apparently it can get pretty nasty and leads to some other health issues - but while squatting, your..natural cleaning functions work a bit better. Apparently it's a suspected reason why asian countries don't have colon cancer like western ones do!
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The first time I Squatted I had a flare up and posted on my page about it. The strain of squatting heavy brought it out. However since that one incident I havent had any problems at all!!! My body seems to have adjusted and has gotten over the wth? momemt. The thing is I didnt percieve a strain per say. felt I could go heavier but my body did percieve it as straining.

Good luck with the program!
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When I first starting doing squats, yes it did aggravate them (still had them from pregnancy and childbirth as well). However, I soon realized I was 'pushing' incorrectly, if you will. I was trying to push up through my butt as opposed to pushing up through the heel of my feet. Idk if that makes any sense, but I wasn't pushing from the bottom I was trying to lift up from the top. Once I corrected that I didn't have any issues. I believe if you are pushing correctly to get up from the squat position it shouldn't aggravate them.