How do you guys do it? Food

Options
So here's my problem: I LOVE food. I really want to lose 7lbs (GW: 118lbs, 5'8), but I keep eating too many calories, and of the wrong foods. It doesn't help that I'm a student. How do you guys keep under calories? Also, I have a TON of trouble eating what I consider "rabbit food" (aka veggies, salads, etc). Any suggestions? Any meal plans I could stick to? What works? Thanks!

Replies

• sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Since you love food, going on a calorie restriction would be miserable (and not work in the long wrong, needless to say), so I'd just work on small changes, like drinking tea instead of soda, for instance. Or instead of completely restricting yourself from your favorite guilty pleasures, limit yourself and cut your portions in half For example, I used to always drink my coffee black, but somewhere down the line I discovered those individual hazelnut creams packets, and that was automatically 50 calories of pure unnecessary sugar every morning. To limit my sugar, I mixed several packets with almond milk, so I was halving my sugar amount (and calories) without having to sacrifice my cream in coffee altogether! I'm a bit biased when it comes to fruits and vegetables because they're absolutely delicious in my opinion, but since you're not a fan (what?!? haha) I'd somehow sneak them in. Maybe a "diet" full of vegetables intimidate you because you're thinking "omg I can only have carrots for a snack" for instance, but how about a nice vegetable and chicken stir fry with rice? And one last, but probably best piece of advice would be to start incorporating some strength training (or increase if you already do some). Even if you don't necessarily lose those last few pounds according to the scale, you certainly will look like you did. Good luck! Oh! And eat lost of protein!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I love food too. That's why I work out - so I can eat what I want and still lose inches. Don't get me wrong, I like vegetables, but I know that if I feel deprived, I won't stick to it.

Just an aside, though - 5'8" at 118lbs would put you in the underweight category.
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight seems a little low for your height. Instead of focusing on calories and weight loss you should consider doing some strength training as it will change your overall body composition. You will be able to eat a little more as well and not feel so deprived.
  • VegasStage
    VegasStage Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've found healthy alternatives to foods I crave.

Chocolate-fiber one bars. They have awesome granola snacks and even brownies and chocolate chip cookies for 100 cals or less.

Chips-Tostitos baked.

Salsa is also super low in calories.

I'm a huge meat-eater, so at sub places I stick to what the low cal options are with breads and don't add on sauces. My favorite though is Jimmy John's where you can order something UNWICH style and get a sub with lettuce.

Popcorn is also a great snack with very little calories!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight seems a little low for your height. Instead of focusing on calories and weight loss you should consider doing some strength training as it will change your overall body composition. You will be able to eat a little more as well and not feel so deprived.

^^^I agree!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    You might want to try intermittent fasting....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

^^^I agree!!!

Totally agree. I'm 5'5 and about 132 pounds, and I fit into clothes I wore in high school at 105-110 pounds. More muscle means you look smaller, but you can eat like a hungry man. Best of both worlds.
  • KrissyKrash
    Options
    Hey! hit me up, I can help you get the weight off without sacrificing the stuff you love or having to eat carrots all day. I think i have this thing down to a science now! I am down 14lbs in 21 days and well on my way to my goal of 30lbs

-kristen
    krissy.healthandwellness@gmail.com
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Earn yourself some more calories by upping your exercise. Are you strength-training? That can really help make you look lean and toned, although you might actually weigh more. Sometimes, it's not all about weight.

I think too it's easy to dismiss all fruit and veg as rabbit food (I know I'm guilty of it!) but if you think, there must be something you like. Do you like peppers, strawberries, apples? Find the ones you do like, and eat plenty of them. Try new ways of cooking the boring ones. I much prefer raw carrots to cooked, say, they have more flavour, I think. Try making sweet potato mash, or crisps, rather than wedges. Smoothies to get in fruit?
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For what I am doing, I am trying to eat less processed foods (no fast food, no junk food[empty calories], nothing from a can, and no tv dinners[too much sodium]). Fruit is high in sugar but yet, it should be the main source of your sugar intake. I'm not big on salad (I need a buttload of dressing to eat it so it's a no) or much other veggies but I do often snack on carrots and boil frozen veggies for my dinner (CORN IS SWEET). Read labels for EVERYTHING. Check for the areas that you are looking out for