progesterone cream - when to use it?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I'm gonna try progesterone cream but confused about when it should be used. It will say things like on day 7 -28 or whatever (that was just an example) how do I know when day 1 is supposed to be? The first of the month? the first day of PMT symptoms? ..the first day from when it actually starts?

And what happens if my next period starts early and I haven't done the recommended amount of days? Do I still stop on the next first day if it has come 2 weeks early again? or what if it skips and I don't have a period that next month do I carry on with the cream until the next period arrives?

I have skipped a month in the last year and also had 3 in a row 2 weeks apart.

Thanks

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do. (Mine is from the doc, btw)

Day 1 is day 1 of bleeding (in theory lol).
    Day 7 I start it, and kinda ramp it up.

On day 28 if there's no period, I stop and hope for a period.
    I wait 7 days. If no period has started, I start again
    If a period starts, then I count the first day as day 1.

If it comes BEFORE day 28, then stop, and count it as day one.

For a long time it would come the day around day 24, and for a while it cam after I stopped taking it.
    Now it's pretty random. :-)

I tried (at my OBGYN's suggestion) ramping up and ramping down, but never stopping it (so like 1/8th of a teaspoon in the morning, to 1/4 in the morning, to 1/4 morning, 1/4 night, to 1/4 morning, to 1/8th in the morning...)
    I felt FABULOUS. But my period never came....
    So now I ramp up and then taper and stop.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    Hope it works for you!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Thanks, well my moods are improving I was very up and down just before start of and end of period, I wish it would help my chocolate cravings and reduce them a bit but maybe haven't been on it long enough. I just started when cream arrived instead of waiting until end of next period but it's due beginning of october so I'll see how it goes.

The diet is similar to paleo though they do allow wholemeal bread and pasta. I'm gluten free so have GF wholemeal bread.

I'll see how I go and hopefully I will have lost another few inches off tummy by xmas people report a shrinkage in inches after been on progesterone cream and diet for around 6 weeks. so fingers crossed! :wink:
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    When I was still having periods and using the cream, I found that my periods started within about 36 hours of stopping, thus I agree with the stopping after 3 weeks (use it day 7-27, approximately, with day 1 being the 1st day of your period).

Don't have that problem anymore, and my doctor has told me to take it non-stop now since I don't have periods (post-hysterectomy), but I find that if I forget to use it that I have the same symptoms I used to have when I was starting my period (well, except for the miserable cramps--thank goodness for the hysterectomy!)
  • shakybabe
    Options
    i have had mine 2 weeks apart ..3 in a row which was unusual for me. it was frustrating as I was no sooner getting rid of the extra water weight to see what I'd got down to , then the next lot of water was going on and I'd no chance to lose an extra pound inbetween!

It is disheartening when read about people saying they are like 145lbs and size 8 and I'm still in size 14 at 132lb just cos of my tummy. I figured there had to be medical reason I was losing weight everywhere else constantly but it just wasn't coming off my tummy.

I'm wondering if its the fibroid that was found 2 yrs ago? maybe some of it was fat when i was 12st 7 and 48" around abdomen, I lost 3 stone and stuck at 9st 7. I was this weight at uni but didn't have the tummy so can't understand how I've managed to get back to that weight with a larger tummy!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    We all store our fat differently, but there is no way you should be in a size 14 at 132. Are you exercising? Eating clean? Your diary is closed, so can't give specific advice, but I'd see my doctor first.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Does some of the fat "concentration" in your tummy have to do with using a wheelchair? I've seen that before with a dear friend. She could easily lose weight everywhere else, but not her tummy. Then add menopause! Best of luck with finding a solution. It's gotta be frustrating.