help!! Reconsidering having this surgery!

Options
I am only on my 2nd day of liquid diet. 12 more to go and I'm really contemplating this. Is this really the way to go? Starving oneself? what kind of life am i leading??/ :(

Replies

• ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    HANG IN THERE!!!! - Its a short time to consider the lifetime change this will have on you!!! Distract yourself and dont concentrate on the food!!!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Trust me - you can do this. and you will NOT be starving yourself. This phase is just a small part of the process. You will be eating a 'regular' diet soon - just better choices and quantities.

Good luck. Which surgery are you having?
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, the first few days on the liquid diet is tough! Another day or two and you will be feeling better. There are alot of things you can do to get through these weeks (I had to do 3 weeks, and over Christmas & New Years to boot... talk about challenging). I used some extracts to add flavour and interest to the shakes, also found them to be much better when very cold. So pick up some different extracts (like vanilla, almond, rum, peppermint, what ever you like), you can usually also have broths (chicken, beef, vegetable), and as much calorie free liquids... You will get through it, and if you are still considering putting it off or calling it off, it's not too late until you are out of surgery. Think good thoughts, remember, this will give you one more tool to reach your goals... and before you know it you will be looking fabulous!
  • DanaLLewis
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm scheduled to have the gastric bypass on the 9th.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    you know if you look at how far you have come up to now. your biggest hurdle in this whole process was deciding to have the surgery.

I had surgery not that long ago and I am so glad I did because now I will be around to see my 4 grandsons grow up instead of getting myself to an early grave by being fat and miserable.

you can do this and the rewards will be worth it!

you can add me as a friend if you want. :flowerforyou:
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It will get easier the 1st 2 or 3 days are the hardest. Sugar free Popsicles were my friend. Sucking on ice chips or even chewing ice chips was also helpful for me.
  • Mrbusterb
    Options
    I know it's rough, but hang in there it gets better
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The first few days were tough. It really does get easier after that. Keep your eyes on the prize. What you are doing now if very important. You must shrink your liver up and get it out of your surgeons way. That is one of the main purposes of the pre-op diet. You can do this. Besides, if eating is really more important than the benefits that you are going to gain from having this surgery...better to figure that out now. I also had to do 2 weeks of protein shakes. Be creative. Use sugar free flavored syrups to make them tastier. Try googling either "world according to eggface" or "bariatric foodie". Both sites have great recipes for very yummy protein shakes that you can use now and recipes for all the stages of diet after surgery. I use both sites all the time. Keep sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles within easy grasp. They were my best friends before surgery and right afterwards. Its hard...I know...but what is waiting for you at the other side is *so* worth it. You can do this!
  • brendaswenson
    brendaswenson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes this is the hardest part getting ready for the best thing that you can do for your life. I struggle with the protien shakes for 2 weeks but I amde it and you can too. GOOD LUCK.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me it was days 3-5 that really sucked...but I pushed through and I am so glad I did. I've lost 55lbs - 28 of that in the month since surgery - 18 in the two weeks of liquid protein diet and the rest during the 6 months prior to the surgery. It is so worth it.

I will say better now to figure out this isn't something you want to ultimately do then once you've the surgery and are miserable.