Sweet & sour replacement?

Options
Do you know what I miss an embarrassingly large amount? Sweet & sour salad dressing. I crave it. Has anybody found a paleo/primal way of making it? Or something that is creamy and has the same delightful flavor? Or should I just say screw it and have it every so often? It's pretty high in carbs though. Help!

Replies

• zellagrrl
    Options
    What is sweet and sour salad dressing? I've never heard of it?
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    hmmm - I wonder if you could concoct something with olive oil, lemon juice just a smidge of honey?? I know, not completely primal...

Maybe someone will have a recipe. Or over on another paleo/primal sight....there are so many blogs with recipes....

Me....once in a while I still have those types of foods as an indulgence and I don't look back.

:blushing:
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Oh zella, sweet and sour salad dressing is this amazingly creamy, luscious concoction that needs liberally poured over every salad. I don't even know how to describe the flavor - pure heaven! LOL
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-and-sour-salad-dressing/

Just use a regular sweet & sour salad dressing recipe and do substitutions, like in this one, sub the vegetable oil for olive oil and the sugar with either raw honey or real maple syrup. There's quite a few paleo-ketchup recipes out there that you can make in bulk amounts and freeze the extras. Pretty much any recipe that doesn't use convenience items (like "canned cream of _____ soup") can be made paleo with a few substitutions (coconut oil for butter, honey/maple syrup for sugar, coconut aminos or gluten free tamari soy sauce for soy sauce, etc).

Edited to add this one: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1715,153174-231200,00.html
    Fewer subs required.
    and this one: http://fastpaleo.com/paleo-sweet-and-sour-sauce/
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I looked up a sample recipe:

Ingredients:

1 cup of white vinegar
    6 tablespoons sugar
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard such as French’s
    Pinch of ground cloves
    2 cups canola oil
    Instructions:

Place all ingredients except the canola oil in a blender (do NOT use a food processor for this recipe …it doesn’t work)
    Blend briefly to combine ingredients
    While blender is running, remove the knob in the lid of the blender and very, very slowly add the oil in a steady, thin stream through the hole
    When all the oil has been added, process one more minute or until thick
    TA-DA! You now have an award winning House salad dressing recipe ...a sweet sour salad dressing that you and your guests will be elated with. It is a best restaurant recipe.

What I would try to do, is sub unsweetened pineapples for 1/2 vinegar. And, obviously, use olive or avocado oil instead of canola. EV will have too much flavor.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You guys are fantastic, thank you. Cooking is new enough to me as it is (I'm dangerous in the kitchen!) so I haven't tried subbing items into other recipes. So this is very helpful as I wouldn't have had any idea what to use. :-)
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Chances are you will like the updated home-made version more than the store bought, and you can try adjusting it to your taste buds!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yep there's no better way to learn cooking than to actually do it and experiment! Recipes are just starting points, guidelines if you will. Once you've made it once, or a few times (depending on the learning curve of the recipe) then tweak it to your own tastes!

There is a LOT of sugar in that recipe that LeidaPrimal posted (6 tbps regular sugar plus 1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar!). That would be hard to sub with maple syrup or honey as I suggested, and none of the recipes I found used that much sweetener. I think subbing pineapples, even unsweetened, for half the vinegar (not sure why you would remove some of the vinegar since there's nothing wrong with vinegar itself) would throw of the balance of tastes entirely. That's just my thoughts on it though!

You'll have to let us know how you make out!