do you believe in ghosts?

Options
tequila09
tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
I have been a non-believer for quite some time and was never really religious just went to church a few times with my mom. With all of the shows about ghost hunters it got me thinking if that could be real then there must be something crazy going on(like a god) because i don't feel they could be explained any other way. I'm not really sure what i believe about ghosts though.

just wondering what others think!! :)

Replies

• RiverManUK
    RiverManUK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just as there is no evidence to support the existence of a god, likewise there is no evidence to support the existence of ghosts.

There may be wonderful ghost stories about haunted houses etc, but no real evidence. The shows about ghost hunters are just that, shows. If ghosts were real they would be science documentaries.

A well known phrase sums it up nicely, "absence of evidence is evidence of absence."
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in ghosts, I've seen somethings I couldn't explain but I am pretty confident that the mind can play tricks on people!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in ghosts.
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in ghosts. I think the shows are all hype and no proof. Also, the few episodes of Ghost Hunters that I watched usually turned out evidence that the "ghosts" where actually just dust, or wind, or 'something' completely explainable by non-paranormal activity. Also, I think our minds play tricks on us -- optical illusions. Other explanations include mental disorders that cause hallucinations, and certain sleeping disorders can also cause hallucinations
  • tequila09
    Options
    yeah there are just so many people that have had "weird" stuff happen to them though you guys are right it could be just normal stuff with their mind playing tricks on them. i've never had anything weird happen to me though i do love those shows haha
  • futureMACH
    Options
    No. Believing in ghosts requires belief in a soul and an afterlife. I don't believe in those things.
  • tequila09
    Options
    No. Believing in ghosts requires belief in a soul and an afterlife. I don't believe in those things.

you're right!! it wasn't too long ago that i realized this though haha.
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    It's the same with those mediums "channeling" spirits.
    What spirit in their right mind will say, when given the unique opportunity to talk to a loved one, "I want to tell you something about someone AND HIS NAME STARTS WITH A P"?

Not the time to play word games, I'd say.
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I went to Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville, KY. It is an old TB hospital and billed as one of the most haunted places in America. I was begging for something, anything, to happen...but nothing did. People around me were swearing up and down that they were being touched by a ghost or could feel something, but there are no windows and we were on a balcony so my guess is it was the wind :p
  • tequila09
    Options
    It's the same with those mediums "channeling" spirits.
    What spirit in their right mind will say, when given the unique opportunity to talk to a loved one, "I want to tell you something about someone AND HIS NAME STARTS WITH A P"?

Not the time to play word games, I'd say.

lol!! yeah those shows were hilarious!!
  • tequila09
    Options
    I went to Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville, KY. It is an old TB hospital and billed as one of the most haunted places in America. I was begging for something, anything, to happen...but nothing did. People around me were swearing up and down that they were being touched by a ghost or could feel something, but there are no windows and we were on a balcony so my guess is it was the wind :p

wow that's crazy! i guess people that want to believe will find a way to. were you at all scared at the small chance it could be really haunted? i think i would be!
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In all honestly the place spooked the hell out of me, but only because it looks just like the kind of place people get killed in movies :p A lot of people, including my friend who is also an atheist, have said that they have seen/felt things they cannot explain. After I was in there I saw the beauty of the old building and it was less creepy, but I am going back at night for a tour next year (you have to book these things like months in advance) to see for myself!
  • Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The answer for me usually lies in the fact that ghost-hunters, mediums and the like do what they do for money. You have got to love the moral values of people who say they can connect those who are grieving with their loved ones - just so long as the money is right. Lets call them the bloodsuckers they are.....

Jane