Does anyone use a FitBit with EM2WL?

I am going thru a trying time with my mum passing away a few weeks ago...and have been off track and want to get back on track...I am planning to purchase a fitbit either tonight or saturday and wondering if anyone else uses the fitbit with success? Did you use it for a week or so before deciding on a calorie range and go with the normal EM2WL figures until then?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I am going thru a trying time with my mum passing away a few weeks ago...and have been off track and want to get back on track...I am planning to purchase a fitbit either tonight or saturday and wondering if anyone else uses the fitbit with success? Did you use it for a week or so before deciding on a calorie range and go with the normal EM2WL figures until then?

So sorry to hear about your loss, and unneeded stress on life, which I'm sure will be continuing for awhile.

If your normal daily activity and exercise consists of walking, then it can be decently accurate for TDEE. Slow jogging it starts to lose it, faster and other activities it will underestimate your calorie burn.
    That's why their website makes it so nice and easy to replace a time period with say HRM burn calories or other calcs.

But, you can still use the data from non-exercise days to nail that activity level burn better. So many discover that despite a desk job, they are actually Lightly Active according to MFP or more, not the sedentary they had used, on non-exercise days.

I used a BodyMediaFit, same theory.

Only thing to be aware of, those devices all base their calorie burn on your BMR. They calculate it with least accurate Harris formula.
    MFP uses newer Mifflin formula.
    Both are based on studies of people at healthy weight already, so the BMR is inflated when overweight. That means reported calorie burn will be inflated.

And if you got your bodyfat% estimated and use most accurate Katch BMR calc, you'd have to tweak your FitBit height so it was using the correct value, if there was much difference to correct anyway.

What's nice is, after using it for a couple weeks to confirm your figures, don't need to wear it again until routine changes in some major way. But then again, it can be motivating seeing your steps and stairs live.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    I actually have a HRM so had already decided I will continue to use that for my actual workouts which are pretty intensive...and wear the fitbit for the rest of the day...I am hoping it will really help me get more idea of my daily burn cos while I do exercise hard 1-2 hours per day 4-6 days per week...I am a office worker...and literally sit on my *kitten* 8 hours a day...thanks :) I had a DEXA scan done a few months ago so I know what that is....just find it hard to figure out how many calories I should be eating...hopefully seeing a believable cal burn specific to me it will help me to figure out how much to eat to ensure weight loss while still eating enough for my work outs etc
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Yes, I use my fitbit to help determine TDEE. Mine was significantly higher than the Scooby calculations, so I had to adjust for that once I figured it out. I love mine!
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    I use the fitbit too with EM2WL. Love it! It was 60-100 calories over what Scooby said and it would have taken tons of trial & error to figure that out. Exactly what I did "use it for a week or so before deciding on a calorie range".So sorry about your mom!
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    I love my fitbit and I love that now that it's set up and syncing with MFP and I've got my TDEE calculating right, it gives me adjustment calories when I work out enough that i need to bump up my calorie intake. I haven't been doing NROL, just walking, which makes it one less thing I have to log. But when I do other activities, it's easy to enter it too. I enter it in Fitbit then let Fitbit send an adjustment to MFP. I've found this was more accurate for me than logging it into MFP.

I love that I can go to the Fitbit site, enter a range of dates under weekly tracking and see my calories burned vs calories eaten in graph form. Makes it really easy to see I'm eating about 200 calories less than my TDEE.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Kind of jealous of all you guys! :) If anyone has an extra they don't want, this girl will take it off your hands! ;)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    I use my fitbit to work out TDEE and an HRM for my non-walking/running work outs. I used it for about a month before calculating my average TDEE and used that. Until then I used it week by week to get a rough idea, tied in with Scooby calculations which were reasonably close for me anyway.