Ready to take the plunge...

Options
tekne1
tekne1 Posts: 30 Member
...but its hard to change! If anyone has any advice or support, I could use it! My natural reaction to successful weight loss so far it to cut more calories. However, I am considering the exact opposite based on really wanting this to be a lasting lifestyle change. I really appreciate the information gathered here, on the website, and on the Facebook page.

I recently lost about 51 pounds. I used the MFP baseline calories of 1200, but ate back most exercise and activity calories (using a conservative estimate). I usually ate between 1200 and 1500 net, with a few high and low days. For exercise, I did recreational/fitness roller derby 1X/week that really is a lot like interval training and a lot of walking.

Now I'm learning to run using interval training (ie Couch to 5k & Zombies, Run!), and I started the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. So now I typically do running/walking intervals 3X/week for 30+ minutes and lifting 3X/week for about 40 minutes. I go for walks with friends and my son about 3X/week for about an hour each time. I will hopefulyl be adding roller derby back into the mix soon. I've changed my macros to 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein to support lifting while still providing some carbs for running and derby. I am slowly learning to eat healthier foods as well.

Since I lost so much weight and ate fairly low calorie, I assumed I destroyed my BMR. However, I had it tested and its 1814 cals. I'm a 5'3" female, and its about 18% higher than average. So good news (but I also worry that it could be wrong since it seems high). So armed with my BMR, should I immediately start trying to at least net my BMR or should I work up to it? The place I was tested said I should eat between 2000 and 2200 calories to continue to lose fat and add muscle, but since I have been eating slow low I should slowly increase. However, if my BMR is my BMR - would it matter how fat or slow I work up to it?

Is a reset recommended eating at TDEE, even though my BMR is fairly high? Should I continue on as I have been, since my BMR stayed relatively high using my somewhat-low-calorie-up-down method? I'm torn and somewhat confused. I'm afraid to rock the boat and gain fat, but more afraid that eventually I'll enter the downward sprial of eating less and weighing more.

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi there-so glad you found us here:)
    You mad the right choice to eat more :happy:

If your BMR is really that high-that's awesome. That means you can eat a lot more:)
    You should at least try to net your BMR daily. If you do not want to jump into a reset, you can start with increasing your calories to the cut value of TDEE-10 or 15% and see how things are going from there.
    If you want to increase clas slowly or jump right up to the new level is entirely up to you. I just went straight for it.
    Did you read through all the stickies and what to expect?

Give us a shout if you need any help
  • tekne1
    tekne1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I've been reading through the stickies, website, posts, and FB page. I just set my MFP goal to my RMR (1814) and don't plan to net below it. I feel like a crazy person for doing it though! Hopefully its so crazy it works. ;)
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    well u havent been on a very low calorie diet for long, so y dont u just try the cut and see how ur body reacts to the increase in calories.