deadlifts on Smith machine?

Bad idea? I just did dead lifts for the very first time today, and they didn't feel right at all...my knees kept on getting in the way and I felt it more in my back than in my legs...could I try them on a Smith machine?

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Don't use the Smith machine for squats or deadlifts. It does not allow you to lift with proper form. Keep working on your deadlift form, even if you have to start with the 45 pound bar only until you figure it out. There are videos on youtube that demonstrate proper form. Sometimes, lifting with the proper form feels more awkward at first, but hang in there -- it gets easier with time.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    I'm a beginer as well, I purchased a book called STARTING STRENGTH BASIC BARBELL TRAINING 3RD EDITION on amazon. It was a great buy and I highly recomend the book. He says the feet at the heels should be 8-10 inches apart with the toes pointed slightly out 10- 30 degrees. Your foot should be placed half in front of the bar and half in back of the bar. The grip width should be just outside the legs when the feet are in the right position the thumbs will just clear the legs on the way up.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    I had the same problem my first time and someone here advised me to put the bar on a step or not go down past shin level. You don't want your back to start to round at all- keep the slight arch. This helped a lot for me.
  • The How to Deadlift page on Stronglifts.com helped me immensely with form—and there's a good video to watch (especially notice how straight his back is) Going to get that barbell book ReneeLee suggested as well—sounds like a great resource.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I wouldn't even think to try deadlifting on a Smith machine. That would take the work out of it! Heather is right, make sure the bar is halfway up your shins and that you don't allow your back to completely straighten. If you're still feeling it too much in your back, drop the weight to protect your back. You'll build it back up!