JephaMooi
JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
Just regained a love for it.
So good!

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    LOL...I do not love ground fighting! But I do think it's important to know how to fight once you end up on the ground. Glad you enjoy it!
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    Why not!? I flipped a man over so fast even my sensai was shocked. It felt so in control.

Maybe it's due to being 5'1 and not having much of a reach standing.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I love ground fighting I'm right with you on that one.
  • Cookme1
    Cookme1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I believe some ground fighting is a good thing to know, but most likely on the street if somebody picks a fight and you do the monkey dance, or get assaulted, that person is going to have some friends in the wings that that are going to kick the snot out of you when you hit the pavement.
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it too, used to be right into it, not so much at the moment but still roll when I have a chance.

Just on the practicality aspect:

For guys I agree with CookMe1, not so practical for self defense because if you're in that situation it's likely a brawl on the street or in a pub, even if you are up against someone without their buddies, going to ground on concrete, gravel, broken glass or whatever else is not nice.

However for women, the self defense situation unfortunately is often rape. Likely an inside surface somewhere private and a single attacker. So for you it is far more valuable that it is for the guys.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I <3 bjj
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started BJJ on Monday. I'm really liking it so far, but half my fingers have a bad case of mat burn near the fingernail lol.
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    It's probably because ground fighting allow me a comfortable position being of a smaller build.

But don't let that fool you!
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    What is bjj?
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you dont know what BJJ is and you enjoy ground fighting, find a class and enter a world of awesomeness!
    BJJ= Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    Oh sheesh! I get it now. lol My old age was kicking in.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    BJJ + Judo + Boxing

No style is going to teach you how to defend against multiple attackers and it's how you train/spar/compete, not what style you do although there are some that are more inclined to be more "alive" then others.
  • JephaMooi
    Options
    I'm confident right now that I'd be better off then the average person being jumped.
    But yeah, no one is every going to execute real life situations perfectly.