Too Soon?

Options
MericoX
MericoX Posts: 199 Member
I will be finishing c25k on 10/19.. and am strongly contemplating entering a 5k on the 27th. It's cross country and seems to be set in an apple orchard. Am I cutting it too close to the end of the c25k program to already doing a 5k? Yeah I'll be able to run one on pavement, but is cross country much different? Maybe I should start finding more trails to run on + hills lol.

Here's the link to the run - http://heateventmanagement.com/apple-dash-5k-1-miler/

Replies

• htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! The worst that will happen is that you may have to walk a part of it for a little while. Maybe you could do a light jog on the race path beforehand to get an idea of what it'll be like?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Not too soon at all!

I did a trail run as part of a triathlon as a new runner, with no experience in trail running at all. It was difficult but not terrible; I imagine it was mostly because I was exhausted after the swim and bike, but I did end up having to walk for a minute or two. The best thing you can do would be to run the course beforehand. There aren't a lot of real tips and tricks I can give you on hills and trails, but as for the 5k itself YES you can do it :)
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely do it! I ran my first one in week 7 :) You got this thing!
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do it! My first 5k (Oct 20th) is going to be 5 days after I complete week 8.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 of C25k (I have repeated week 7 so really should be on week 8 now), and I'm running a 5k this Sunday and it's a cross-country style run (no pavements). I'll let you know how I do, I'm expecting to have a few walk breaks especially if there are lots of hills. Right now all I want to do is be able to finish (I know I can), get the experience and have some fun - I'm not focusing too much on time or speed for this one and don't care if I come last (it's better to come last than not try at all). I'm running to raise money for charity and my dog will be doing the run with me so it's all for fun :)
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I completed my first 5k in week 2 :P Of course I had to walk some but I still beat lots of people lol.
    I had to take a 2 week break from c25k due to knee pain so I am just getting going again...I am on week 6 still. I plan to do the Color run in November. I may not be able to run the entire thing but that's ok! I will have another chance in December when I do our hometown's annual Yule run ;)
    I say it's never too soon...just gives you room for improvment ;)
  • katrinas626
    Options
    Go for it! I should be starting week 8 tomorrow but I'm running my first 5k