new to this and freaked a little..

Options
okidoki7
okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
hiya, i got my book and started reading yesterday, have just got through the nutrition part and am competely freaked by it all now, so much so, i want to close the book and not read any more of it lol.....i think the calorie numbers he is talking about are so alien to me, always trying to lose weight by cutting calories etc...currently on about 1600...am scared to increase this amount, but also want to follow the "rules" 100%..

can ANYONE offer some advice, support or even success stories that you've had with this book ?!?!

looking froward to getting to know you all :happy:

thanks x

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am no help. I joined the group "in place of a road map" here for calories and am eating TDEE minus 20%. I need to be a little smaller before I will be comfortable just building.

Also, someone here posted a weight lifting before and after inspiration thread for me- will try to find it...
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know that the calories can look daunting. But I had plateaued at 25lbs lost on my low cal (net less than 1400) diet and that included hours (6-7) on the treadmill a week.

I bought the book...took a leap of faith...and it works.

My food diary is open to the world. I log everything I eat. I have been doing the program for 4 weeks (on 4B tomorrow) I've broken though my plateau and am down another 5 pounds. I am eating around 2000 cals a day. I aim for 200 grams of protein a day, and consider the day a loss if I have less than 150 protein grams on that day.

Check out this calculator it helped me with my nutrition goals.
    http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I broke through a plateau by eating more also. Ever since I upped to 1900-2000 per day, I've lost slow but steady.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've never really eaten less. I started at 1800 and the lowest I went was about 1490 (for a week) I was eating 1690 but changed to what the book said. It made me hungrier and miserable eating that much. So I've dropped back to 1690 and this seems to be my sweet spot.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 1500, now I'm trying to go over 2000 daily and my abs are finally starting to flatten out! yay!!!
  • mermegan
    Options
    I do TDEE - 20% (I do New Rules 3x, cardio 4-5x) and use the moderate modifier. Although this puts me at 1700 on the low end, I have days that I go way over and sometimes I go under (but not too often) I stalled out eating low cal and working out so much. Now that' I've upped my calories I'm leaning out slowly but I'm also not thinking about food every second of the day. I'd rather lose slowly then be miserable! Trust it, it works.

Oh, and Samantha just had amazing results finishing New Rules (check the daily thread) and she eats at maintenance I believe.
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the calorie amounts in the book, but I did still up them from what I was eating. I eat around 1500 on non lifting days and around 1800 on lifting days. I try to make protein a priority.

So far I've lost quite a few inches and now the lbs are starting to come off too.
  • okidoki7
    Options
    wow...thanks so much for the replies, after working out my cals, as per the book, my daily should be in the 1700's and workout days 2000...i guess it seems a reasonable amount....

have finally figured the workout plan, although its not an easy task with the book lol....sorted my dumbbells for tomorrow and away i'll go, thanks so much for your replies, feeling daunted,but VERY excited...x
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited for you!! It is such a fun program!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to the calories you'll love it....

Check out this group for lots of information

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • okidoki7
    Options
    oh lovely thanks so much :)

well i have done workout 1, took me 26mins in total, is that about right ????? i feel like i worked out and am sweating lol...the prone jacknives were a killer for me and the push ups,im afraid i done them on my knees, but did them "properly" cant wait to build up to "proper" ones lol...... :happy:
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your first workout!!! That's about how long it takes (ie, they are fast at least initially). Did you do a warmup? I usually warmup on the elliptical for 10 min, so my total workout time with stretching is usually 45 min. The prone jackknives are my nemesis!! They are still hard for me and I'll be starting WO6 on Wed. You will be amazed at how quickly you get stronger. Way to go!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I eat more than the book says and lost a dress size during Stage 1. So I totally advocate eating at least what the book recommends!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ahh that's nice to hear Holley! I just started (did my 2nd workout today) but I have been running for ... quite a while now. I am more looking to lose a pant size than pounds but I'll be happy with both!
  • okidoki7
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your first workout!!! That's about how long it takes (ie, they are fast at least initially). Did you do a warmup? I usually warmup on the elliptical for 10 min, so my total workout time with stretching is usually 45 min. The prone jackknives are my nemesis!! They are still hard for me and I'll be starting WO6 on Wed. You will be amazed at how quickly you get stronger. Way to go!

thanks, yes i did warm up and cool down, only about 5mins though...

i re-read the workout sheet after and realised i should have only done 8 reps of the prone jacknives, i done 2 sets of 15 lol...ooopppsss lol.....my whole body was shaking at around12 reps, *note to self* READ properly lol...can't wait to feel stronger and hopefully lose some inches..
  • okidoki7
    Options
    I eat more than the book says and lost a dress size during Stage 1. So I totally advocate eating at least what the book recommends!

wow, thats a great success, well done..xx