Breakfast

Options
What do you eat for breakfast that gives you enough protein? I'm so tired of eggs and I do not want protein shakes/bars. I need help finding real breakfast food.

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    On lifting days, I do a protein shake. It's fairly simple...frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup of milk, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder.

On non lifting days, I usually have Special K with protein and milk...because it's simple...lol. I usually have some fruit with it too...berries, cantaloupe, or nectarine.
  • chere25
    Options
    Costco carries Coach's Whole Grain Oatmeal. Its different than regular oatmeal and has a good amount of protein. I think its 5 grams per 1/3 of a cup. I made the mistake of eating a full cup of it instead of checking out the serving size and ended up eating 450 calories in oatmeal this morning! yikes! It kept me full for four hours! haha. I can't eat eggs...intolerant...so its protein shakes or cereal for me. I use coconut milk or almond milk in everything. Almond is a higher sodium count though, so if you're watching that be careful. Good luck!
  • chere25
    Options
    Just another thought...google quick oatmeal recipes with chia seeds. You add greek yogurt, fruit, chia seeds, oatmeal and a vast array of flavours like cinnamon or dark cocoa. Make it the night before, throw it in the fridge and voila...its ready in the morning. No cooking, takes minutes and its great. :)
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Cere, that sounds good, thanks!! I will look that up.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    What do you eat for breakfast that gives you enough protein? I'm so tired of eggs and I do not want protein shakes/bars. I need help finding real breakfast food.

Eggs are so gross. (Sorry, I just think they're creepy.) I eat oatmeal or pancakes made with 2T of Brewer's yeast. It adds a lot of protein and has a nutty flavor. There's nothing artificial about it, so it's by no means a protein shake. Kashi also makes several excellent cereal brands that have 9g of protein in one serving. There's also nothing wrong with eating dinner foods at breakfast.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Well part of my breakfast is eggs, but I eat it with salsa and avocado. I also have oatmeal with milk :) yummy.

What about some homemade protein or bran muffins?
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I make old fashioned oatmeal, add chia seeds and cinnamon, and top it off with a half serving of Greek yogurt. Not highminmprotein but it does have it and is filling. The cinnamon gives it a really delicious flavor.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt (packed with protein) and either oatmeal or cheese toast on the days I don't have eggs and bacon (which I eat 2 or 3 days a week).
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have deviled eggs and a protein shake, but I used to eat a piece of salmon or tilapia and fruit for breakfast. Sometimes I'll have greek yogurt and pecans or almonds. It just depends on my mood.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats with Greek yogurt.
  • BlondieBride
    BlondieBride Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do overnight oats, they are the best thing out. I just combine 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2-1 scoop of chocolate whey or casein protein powder (depending on if I exercised before breakfast) and store in the fridge overnight and you eat it cold. It is chocolate heavenly goodness!
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of eggs too, but since I feel terrible if I start the day out with carbs or sugar, I am kind of stuck eating meat+eggs+cheese combo with the occasional fruit or toast thrown in there. I have started making omelettes and scrambles to change things up. On the weekends, I get up later so I tend to allow myself to eat thing with more carbs and less protein because I can eat a high protein lunch a couple of hours later. If I can stick with the boring stuff throughout the week, I know I can have at least one "exciting" breakfast on the weekend.
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I tried the overnight yogurt made with the greek yogurt and jeez I hate yogurt and I could taste it, so I had to drown it in sugar free maple syrup.

I will try the recipe with the protein powder, oats and milk. I have some protein powder that needs to be used and I got sick of the shakes. I really appreciate all the tips, thanks!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want bars but I make a homemade protein bar. That's pretty good and no preservatives or anything.

2 cups old fashioned oats
    1/2 c peanut butter (or almond butter)
    1/2 c warm water
    4 scoops of vanilla protein powder (or your favorite flavor)
    and then any mix ins or toppings you like

(I use 2 oz mealted with 1T peanut butter poured over the top)

Mix all together and then press into a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap or parchemnt paper and freeze. Take out and slice into 8 bars. Min turn out to be about 260 cal and 20 grams of protein. And very filling!!
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My breakfast generally consists of steel cut oats, sweet potatoes, cinnamon, 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 2 tbsp peanut butter powder, 2 tbsp raw vegan chocolate/vanilla protein powder and a few almonds chopped up. Really tasty.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I love eggs! :)

However...here are some ideas:

cottage cheese mixed with protein powder topped with seeds or nuts

oatmeal with protein powder and egg whites (or a whole egg) mixed into it

sausage/bacon/ham on ww toast w/ a slice of cheese --> not as calorie dense as people think
  • doctorwhogirl
    doctorwhogirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oatbran! It's higher in protein and in fibre to leave you fuller for longer. I have mine with some natural sweetener, skimmed milk and cinnamon. Bang in the microwave for about 2 mins and YUM!
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this morning:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats... cook them a little on the runny side.
    1 scoop of protein powder (this morning I used chocolate)
    +add ins to your liking (okay - this morning I used a tablespoon of semi-sweet choco chips... don't judge).

Yummy + lots of protein.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am with you totally on the protien powders. I sometimes feel like the odd one out on here because I refuse to use them, lol. On the weekends I make epic omlets, but my go to breakfast for the week are over night oats.

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    1 TBS peanut butter
    1 mashed up banana
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 TBS flax seed
    1 TBS chia seeds
    1 TBS hemp seeds

YUM!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had a really random breakfast this morning and it was gorgeous!

Quinoa, cherry tomatoes, rep peppers, red chilli and tuna salad! It was 5 minutes before I had to leave for work so I basically threw everything that could be thrown into a box and left.

Breakfast doesn't have to be breakfasty :smile: