Geek shows you DON'T like

Options

Replies

• Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the cheesiness of Dr. Who and haven't made it past the first episode of Firefly.
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Big Bang Theory - I just can't really get into it. Granted, I have a hard time finding ANY sitcoms I enjoy, because I feel like they're just NOT funny. I know BBT has a huge following, but I just can't do it :-(
  • sherigambino
    sherigambino Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Alpha's is really good.
  • sherigambino
    sherigambino Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dr. Who is just to fake looking to me. Not for sure what the Whovians see in it.
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me die a little inside.

Agreed... so much focus on Twilight. Personally, I don't even see Twilight as a 'geek' thing. It's just... cheap. That's what it is. Not the books, per se, but the fiction itself. So cheap that it doesn't satisfy anyone who has ever lost themselves in a truly good book, but is a book that the masses that don't actually read can trot out every time they say they read. I honestly don't think any self-respecting geek or book lover would ever actually enjoy it.

But back on topic...

Big Bang. I can't get into it AT ALL. Am I the only person that can't seem to get into it?

Edit: Oh, and Howie, I haven't been around since the beginning of the summer when you were maybe half way to where you are now. Holy crap, great job! :D
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah... Twilight is in no way a geek thing. It's a raging teenage girl hormone thing. I wouldn't consider vampires geeky, especially ones that sparkle.
    I've never read the books. Then again, I'm not that much into fantasy, more into sci-fi.
    You can make up for a lot of nonsense in my books if you throw a couple of robots, spaceships or bullet time martial art scenes my way, but all this business with magic, dragons, swords, valour and honour and never did much for me.

I'm more into sci-fi too and don't like many high fantasy books. Game of Thrones just feels more medieval with some supernatural aspects thrown in. There aren't any prancing elves or dwarves.., well...
  • DaddyM1
    DaddyM1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So many shows to hate. Where to begin?

I was so looking forward to Falling Skies. Then after about four episodes, I thought this show is all about morons. Every single character in that show is a moron. I'm hoping the aliens win.

Started to watch Revolution. I've rarely seen worse acting. It's bad. And it's also a pretty dumb premise. Here is a question for the shows writers. If the internal combustion engine has ceased to work in this "technology blackout", how is it that bullets still work? After all, it's internal combustion that propels the slug. And while I'm at it, since when can crossbows blow people twenty feet back off their feet?

I don't know who said Battlestar Galactica was bad, but that was, in my opinion, one of the best sci-fi shows to ever grace the small screen. The acting was fantastic. The storyline rich and nuanced. There was no clear bad guy, which forced you to wonder what was really going on. The mythology within the show was, in of itself, fascinating.

That's good story telling.
    Ed
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    So many shows to hate. Where to begin?

I was so looking forward to Falling Skies. Then after about four episodes, I thought this show is all about morons. Every single character in that show is a moron. I'm hoping the aliens win.

Started to watch Revolution. I've rarely seen worse acting. It's bad. And it's also a pretty dumb premise. Here is a question for the shows writers. If the internal combustion engine has ceased to work in this "technology blackout", how is it that bullets still work? After all, it's internal combustion that propels the slug. And while I'm at it, since when can crossbows blow people twenty feet back off their feet?

I don't know who said Battlestar Galactica was bad, but that was, in my opinion, one of the best sci-fi shows to ever grace the small screen. The acting was fantastic. The storyline rich and nuanced. There was no clear bad guy, which forced you to wonder what was really going on. The mythology within the show was, in of itself, fascinating.

That's good story telling.
    Ed

Internal combustion engines need a sparkplug to ignite the fuel.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Did not enjoy any Star Trek except the original and Star Trek TNG. did not like Terra Nova. I didn't like Heroes or Lost. I loved the orginal "V" mini-series and tv series, but did not care for the re-make. I loved the Twilight books, but I thought of them as trashy romance novels. Love the movies in the same way.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Big Bang Theory - I just can't really get into it. Granted, I have a hard time finding ANY sitcoms I enjoy, because I feel like they're just NOT funny. I know BBT has a huge following, but I just can't do it :-(

I laugh when I happen to see it, but I don't make time to watch it. I really don't watch much TV. I know someone said the acting was terrible in Revolution, but I think the premise is neat. I think it shows how ingrained technology is in our society to the point that people would rather not exist than live without it.
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Internal combustion engines need a sparkplug to ignite the fuel.

Diesels don't. They use the heat and pressure inside the cylinders to ignite the fuel.
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I liked Twilight, but purely from a romance novel point of view. Meyers was very good at writing the characters of the story and the storyline (the events that took place) didn't suck either. Considering the first book was written in three months based on a dream, it's really not bad.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'm actually torn on True Blood. I like the story...though the abligatory scream at the end of most of the episodes is annoying. My Beef is with the power of the vampires...and it's the same problem I have with superman.

No matter what is out there...they are always more powerful and the only thing they ever fear is older vampires.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Big Bang. I can't get into it AT ALL. Am I the only person that can't seem to get into it?

Not only am I not into it, it's the sort of show I am apparently "supposed" to like, so people at work or whatever who know I'm geeky are like, "oh you must watch Big Bang theory, right? isn't it great??" and I'm like "....no."
  • evereadysmile
    Options
    I'm riding the can't stand Big Bang Theory train with y'all. Maybe it's the sitcom format? I don't know. But it does nothing for me. Stargate too. I've tried to watch Battlestar Gallactica, even my mom likes it, but it's never grabbed me. And, surely unpopular opinion here, but I'm little worn out on Star Wars and the Avengers. I mean, I like them, and I get it, I guess, but I don't think either good enough for the prevalence they seem to have in pop culture. I mean the Star Wars thing is mostly nostalgia, right? Yes, it was the first movie I saw in the theatre, yes the toys pervaded my childhood, but the movies and the story don't really stand up to repeated rewatchings. And the Avengers has some funny jokes, but it's not a story that sticks with you or anything.
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Twilight is a given, boring weak characters. (sorry I'm a snob) Heroes I stopped watching after a few eps, Thinking of trying again though. Eureka I tried, but it is soo dull. And the Walking Dead I just can't.

Even shows I sworn I would never watch: True Blood, The vampire Diaries, I gave in and watched, they are not the greatest but I still enjoy.

Everyone is different I mean I LOVED Legend of the Seeker and Grimm has completely grown on me, Supernatural is my favourite show, I love all the seasons even the ones that rip my heart out.
    And The Avengers, Don't get me started I FREAKING LOVE THAT film, long live the great Joss Whedon.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Big Bang Theory - It has it's moments, but those are few and far between for me.

Revolution - I was over it within the first five minutes, when the plane crashed and ALL the power was mysteriously gone! Just p*ssed me off with it's extreme improbability. And then they restructure society in a semi-totalitarian manner, and I was like pffft. Click.

The Walking Dead - Only because in the comic literally everyone dies. At some point this show will end, and everyone will die. I refuse to get invested.

Lost - I just didn't really care enough to watch. And then the giant punchline was they were all in some form of purgatory.... when I found that out, I was glad I didn't watch it.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Not a show, but comic books. I thought they were dull when I was a kid and I still agree. Wayyyyy to short, at the very least.
  • uglydeuce
    uglydeuce Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    True blood, Vampire diaries, Twilight........ Season 6+ of supernatural

^^This.

Creatures created on lust and blood just don't fit into the sparkly package the author wrote them into (god I forget her name but I'm really not interested in looking it up) in Twilight. People I talk to about it insist the books are better... but I really don't care because the entire principles of werewolves and vampires are lost. I don't care about romance - I wanna see people get butchered... is that so much to ask?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen Alphas. I don't watch a ton of tv. But we bought Farscape on blu-ray. 2 seasons in and I'm still not sure if I like it. I mean, it has brilliant moments, but I find myself rolling my eyes a lot. It's a toss-up.

Does eye-rolling burn calories ????

I loved Farscape ...... yeah, it's a bit dorky, but we got totally hooked ..... and I still cry that the series ended :sad:

Ooops, almost forgot ...... I think "Alphas" is ho-hum ...... and Dr Rosen is annoying ......