did you see the 12 skinny rules?

Options
I guess they are from someone who works with the 'biggest loser' folks. (i dont watch it).
What do you think of them?
What are some rules that work for you?

These are the rules that I saw on a picture file going around on Pinterest:
1. drink a large glass of water before every meal--no excuses!
2. don't drink your calories
3. Eat protein at every meal--or stay hungry and grouchy
4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains
5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day.
7. No carbs after lunch
8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.
9. Stop guessing about portion sizes and get it right--for good.
10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.
11. Get rid of those white potatoes.
12. Make one day a week meatless.
13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.
14. Eat a real breakfast.
15. Make your own food and eat alt least ten meals a week at home.
16. Banish high salt foods.
17. Eat your vegetables--just do it!
18. Go to bed hungry.
19. Sleep right.
20. Plan one splurge meal a week.

Replies

• healthyMSk
    healthyMSk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of them. The ones about drinking water and cutting out the artifical sweetners are things that haver really cut back on my cravings. The only thing I drink with calories is almond milk. If I want fruit juice I cut the fruit up and put in water. I have been making myself measure my food and I was way off in my ''estimates" . The rest are something to think about.
  • KayeArlana
    KayeArlana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think they are all great rules, if the work for you. I do follow some. Fast food is one of my big triggers so one of the rules I have for myself is: if I want it I have to park and go inside and get it. Works out well because I very rarely am willing to go inside.
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    No carbs after lunch?? Hmm, I already low carb and most things have carbs (even lettuce although minor amounts). And one splurge meal is what gets me off track ... lol I can't seem to realize when they splurge stops.

Like today. Hubby took me out for a celebratory lunch so of course it was high carb and delicious! It was supposed to be ONE MEAL and back on track, but I couldn't eat it all so I packed it up and took it for dinner tonight at work (11p-7a) so that's two high carb meals. And boss calls an 8am dept meeting and she always brings bagels, doughnuts, pastries, juice, etc. After working all night and being up since 11am yesterday, I know I will eat some so that ONE MEAL splurge has/will turn into a 24 hour event!!

But once I am carb'd up, I will sleep and wake up on low carb time... I hope!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Some of these are great, but some of them are unrealistic for most people......for example, no carbs after lunch would not work for someone like me that is a type one diabetic, I have to have carbs at every meal in order to take my insulin shot and keep my blood sugar steady. Same with the sweetners, being diabetic, I drink a lot of Mio and Crystal Light, and always have, plain water all the time would be way too much.

However, I do get my recommended 35 grams of fibre every day, and that is REALLY important in keeping you full, regular and satisfied. And eating protein at every meal is important too. I also think it is super important to sleep right and read food labels as well as checking your portion sizes (this is where I fail most).......

One more thing....we are big meat eaters at my house, and going meatless one day a week during Lent is hard, lol, I do not think we could do it all year long!! Just sayin......
  • sheilanowell
    sheilanowell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1. drink a large glass of water before every meal--no excuses! THIS IS IN DIRECT CONTRAST WITH BARIATRIC SURGEON RECOMMENDATIONS/REQUIREMENTS. THEY SAY NO DRINKING 30 MINUTES BEFORE A MEAL OR 2 HOURS AFTER A MEAL. MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE THE STOMACH POUCH IS SO SMALL AND IT WILL FILL UP?

2. don't drink your calories THIS IS A GREAT RECOMMENDATION. I AM WEAK WITH THIS ONE. VERY WEAK.

3. Eat protein at every meal--or stay hungry and grouchy THIS IS A GOOD IDEA, EVEN FOR MY KIDS. NEED TO WORK ON IT.

4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains THIS IS ALSO A GREAT IDEA - GOES ALONG WITH THE NEW GLUTEN FREE FAD DIETS (I KNOW GLUTEN INTOLERANCE IS REAL, BUT MANY ARE DOING IT BECAUSE IT PROVIDES QUICK WEIGHT LOSS) THIS AREA IS WHERE MY FAMILY FAILS BIG TIME.

5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day WE NEED TO DO THIS, TOO. MY DAUGHTER GETS CONSTIPATED VERY EASILY. MAYBE THIS WILL HELP HER?

6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day. HMM...APPLES DIPPED IN PEANUT BUTTER (PROTEIN) - KNOCK OUT 2 RECOMMENDATIONS WITH ONE TRY. LOL!

7. No carbs after lunch THIS WOULD BE HARD. WE ARE SO USED TO HAVING THE FULL "MEALS" OF A MEAT, POTATO, VEGGIE, AND BREAD OF SOME TYPE. IT'S LIKE RETRAINING OUR THINKING! ESPECIALLY WHEN WE HAVE SPAGHETTI FOR SUPPER, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. NOT SURE WE COULD REALLY DO THIS.

8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating. WE DO THIS. IT'S SICK WHAT GOES IN OUR MOUTHS. WISH I COULD GO PALEO AND JUST EAT THE NATURAL FRUITS, VEGGIES, AND MEATS GOD GAVE US AND BE HAPPY.

9. Stop guessing about portion sizes and get it right--for good. EAT ON SMALLER PLATES AND DON'T GET REFILLS. THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO DO BETTER IN THIS AREA, TOO.

10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones. NO PROBLEM FOR ME. ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS GIVE ME MIGRAINES.

11. Get rid of those white potatoes. WHY? WHAT'S WRONG WITH POTATOES? HUBBY BOUGHT SOMETHING LIKE "BUTTER POTATOES" LAST WEEK THAT WERE DELICIOUS. ARE THEY CONSIDERED WHITE?

12. Make one day a week meatless. WE ALREADY DO THIS, BUT IT USUALLY INCLUDES PASTA (A CARB) SO HERE'S ANOTHER PROBLEM. LOL! ALSO, MAKES IT HARDER TO GET PROTEIN IN AT EVERY MEAL...

13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods. NO PROBLEM HERE. WE NEVER EAT FRIED FOODS AND RARELY GO OUT TO EAT.

14. Eat a real breakfast. WHAT'S A "REAL" BREAKFAST? WE HAVE CEREAL MOST MORNINGS, BUT TRY TO DO EGGS AND BACON AND PANCAKES AND OATMEAL AND BAGELS, ETC. EACH WEEKEND.

15. Make your own food and eat alt least ten meals a week at home. I COOK AT HOME 99% OF THE TIME.

16. Banish high salt foods. NOT SURE WHAT HAS ALOT OF SALT IN IT, BUT WE RARELY ADD SALT TO OUR MEALS.

17. Eat your vegetables--just do it! YUMMY!!!

18. Go to bed hungry. THIS IS MY #1 HARDEST PROBLEM. I GET A HUGE HUGE HUGE SWEET TOOTH AFTER DINNER. FRESH FRUIT WILL SATISFY IT IF WE HAVE IT IN THE HOUSE, OTHERWISE I AM CONVINCED I HAVE TO MAKE BROWNIES OR COOKIES TO SATISFY IT. IT'S PROBABLY THE ONE THING THAT KEEPS ME 387 POUNDS.

19. Sleep right. YES, IMPORTANT, BUT NOT ALWAYS EASY. RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME, NIGHTMARES, UNCOOPERATIVE KIDS...

20. Plan one splurge meal a week. ONLY ONE? JUST KIDDING. LOL!!!