Being over-weight has nothing to do with food!

Options
Here is the opening topic up for dicsussion, I am sure this will invite some interesting debate!

Replies

• llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree. How can food not be a component of why people are overweight. I've heard that people can be healthy and overweight, ex: they eat for nutrition and to fuel their body and also workout/exercise but are still categorically overweight. But I think thats just an exception to the rule so to speak, if people eat junk a lot, they tend to be overweight. People who eat nutritiously tend to be at a healthy weight or on their way to a healthy weight/body/lifestyle.

Personally speaking, when I eat crap and eat out a lot, I feel tired and run down. When I choose healthier meals and foods, I can definitely feel a difference.

So I don't know if you were just inviting debate or stating this as fact.
  • RolandChandler
    Options
    Thank-you for opening the debate. You are absolutly right when you say that poeple can be overweight and be healthy, but only a little overweight. Basically if you can see fat on the outside, its usually on the inside to, meaning it will be clogging up your arteries and organs. This is called visceral fat. Visceral fat is measured out of 30 points.

Now to some extent this can be reduced or managed, but from my personal training experience a person whom is fat is generaly over 13 visceral fat points, which is heading to 50% visceral fat and will only loose one visceral fat point every 2-3% body fat reduction.

There are exceptions though.

So sticking to the topic,

(being overweight has nothing to do with food)

Why would a person eat junk food as apposed to nutritious food in the first place?
  • PhoenixIsis
    Options
    Thank-you for opening the debate. You are absolutly right when you say that poeple can be overweight and be healthy, but only a little overweight. Basically if you can see fat on the outside, its usually on the inside to, meaning it will be clogging up your arteries and organs. This is called visceral fat. Visceral fat is measured out of 30 points.

Now to some extent this can be reduced or managed, but from my personal training experience a person whom is fat is generaly over 13 visceral fat points, which is heading to 50% visceral fat and will only loose one visceral fat point every 2-3% body fat reduction.

Why would a person eat junk food as apposed to nutritious food in the first place?

Hi, I've just started and saw this group while browsing groups. Nice having interesting discussions like this one btw! Here is my two cents, habit which also shapes what foods we become accustom to. It creates us then to crave and enjoy those foods more even if they may not be the best choice. Lack of nutrition knowledge as well, some people may not understand a certain item is unhealthier compare to another. I feel both of these are my problem.

I'm trying to break habits that I've been accustom to since childhood but I have noticed over the past year as I eat more nutritious foods such as veggies and fruit that I'm growing a liking for them that I did not have before. I didn't have a good understanding of food either until I had taken a nutrition course.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options

habit which also shapes what foods we become accustom to. It creates us then to crave and enjoy those foods more even if they may not be the best choice. Lack of nutrition knowledge as well, some people may not understand a certain item is unhealthier compare to another. I didn't have a good understanding of food either until I had taken a nutrition course.

Thanks for your 2 cents, Phoenix...I TOTALLY agree about Habit being a downfall in our patterns of eating. Thank you, Roland, for having this group. I recently joined a "No Late Night Snacking" group to be accountable for not eating past a certain time of our choosing. It took me two months to train myself not to eat after a certain hour, and I am sooo strict with myself, that if I eat ACCIDENTALLY after 8pm, I mark the "LNS" column. lol. I now eat early enough, not to run into 8pm (I have grandkids who can certainly make me forget time).
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options

:ohwell: Junk food is FAST, and EASY, and can fill hunger in a moment. Also, habit to reach for junk food creates a craving in our system to CRAVE more junk food especially late at night. It is easy to reach for junk food during the day, cause you can burn those calories...but the calories in potato chips (a fave of mine I am eating LESS of)...is empty calories vs a nice salad...that takes TIME to make but YUMMY in its OWN right. Awareness is KEY. This is WHY I joined MFP...I have found friends who are like minded...and even if we slip...we get right back on track :) Thx for the ongoing discussion :drinker: