Carb Help

I keep going over on carbs and I don't know how to stop it. Almost all of my "protein packed" foods contain a decent amount of carbs. How do I avoid this? I've been trying to do 30% carbs, 35% fats, 35% protein. Any words of wisdom? Thank you!

Replies

• Feel free to look at my diary for the past week, I hit my macros consistently for 40/30/30. Try to load up on meat, eggs, or protein powder (not yogurt or dairy) because they contain a lot of the macro you want (protein) and zero of the macro you don't (carbs). Dairy has sugar/carbs by default.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    I have this problem some days, too. I really have to try to avoid bread, processed foods, and starch veggies to stay under on carbs. If I can keep by breakfast very high protein and very low carb, I seem to do better for the rest of the day. My breakfast is usually eggs, meat and cheese. No toast, no cereal, no oatmeal etc... Makes me sad but it keeps my macros in check lol :sad:
  • If you want to keep low carb, you want to be getting your carbs from veggies. Keep fruit to 1-2 portions a day - berries are best for lower carbs, I like my fruit, so I have berries in the morning.

As skinnylion said, dairy has sugar/carbs because of the lactose (which is a sugar). If you're veggie, nuts, tofu and whey protein would be better sources. Don't even think about grains, and watch the starchier root veg.

The macros you're trying to reach are pretty much what a paleo/primal diet would look like, maybe do some reading up around that way of eating.