Hip flexor pain after squats

Options
Hi all! So this is new: I've started having some slight pain in my hip flexors after squatting. I did change my stance slightly—feet shoulder width apart and toes slightly pointed out. Has anyone experienced this? I've read that warming up better/stretching more can help so I'm going to try it. Just hoping my stance isn't incorrect.

When I started my toes were pointed forward but I couldn't go as deep...

Anyone??

Replies

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    According to the book I quote 'STASTING STRENGHT BASIC BARBELL TRAINING 3RD EDITION" this is the correct stance. Did it yesterday for the first time with 40# bag, then 40# bag and a five # weight. I haveshoulder injury and dont have the range of motion to reach back and hold a bar. The book also says to look down 4-5 feet infront of you. Looking up will give you a neck injury and looking down grounds you, because you are closer to the floor then you are the ceiling. Maybe an epson salt bath and some sretchin tonight. I'm sorry you are having pain. I have been getting a bad headache when doining some of the lifts. I'm going to reduce the weights and watch my breathing and form.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If you are getting deep enough into your squat (and yes, you need to turn your toes out to do this), chances are you are going to feel it in your hip flexors.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Your stance is correct. Yes, try warming up your hip flexors more by doing active stretches like side-to-side lunges (stay low), reverse lunges, forward lunges, inchworm, etc.

Also, don't skip the exercise specific warm-ups (see pg. 133).
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi all! So this is new: I've started having some slight pain in my hip flexors after squatting. I did change my stance slightly—feet shoulder width apart and toes slightly pointed out. Has anyone experienced this? I've read that warming up better/stretching more can help so I'm going to try it. Just hoping my stance isn't incorrect.

When I started my toes were pointed forward but I couldn't go as deep...

Anyone??

I'm exactly the same, was also doubting my stance too! Did my A workout yesterday and my hip flexors are really feeling it today. I'd forgotten to do the specific warm up and just did 10 mins on the elliptical, so hopefully next time won't be as bad.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am no expert, but I do look at a heck of a lot of photos of squats these days (seriously).

Now, I know this sounds nuts but I find that I am able to do squats much better with less muscle soreness when I use a little wider stance.

Sometimes it is hard to judge just how wide our shoulders are, and I think women especially are sensitive to variations since some of us have narrow shoulders anyways.

Look at the woman in this photo, she looks like she is wider than shoulder width, but she is totally awesome and doing it correctly.

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/09/lifting-big-eating-big-not-just-for.html

Try widening your stance, keeping your knees out when you go down and see if that helps any.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You could also try one or both of these exercises to help strengthen your hip flexors. Try doing the knee-to-elbow as part of your warm-up and on non-lifting days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6pxKiY_0Hs&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=1&feature=plpp_video
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    Some of these mechanics are TOTALLY dependent on if you are long-legged, long-waisted, tall, short, whatever.....AND muscle-mind memory, too!

I spent SOOOOOOOOOO much time, at the beginning of NROL4W, trying to do the move EXACTLY as written! Waste. Of. My. Time. I am tall, I am ALL legs, I am VERY short-waisted. Having my toes turned out and my legs a "little" wider than hip distance has made ALL the difference in my progression with squats.

Also, I used to have VERY TIGHT hip-flexors - all that cardio step I did!

To this day, I *still* do some glute bridges prior to any glute exercise (like squats/deadlifts) and that really helps with hip flexor soreness. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend ROLLING once you are done the routines (during your s-t-r-e-t-c-h) time and rolling on your days off, too!

Good luck - it's SUCH a great program!