4 weeks until full and

Options
bonjour24
bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
I have just taken the last week off training due to a chest infection. I've only done 1x 5k run last week, and it hurt. Anyway, I just wanted to get a general consensus- I'm intending on starting the training again tomorrow and repeating week 12. This will mean that I have a 32k run next week, a 34k run the week after, and only a 2 week taper before the marathon. Does anyone here think that will be an issue? It's only my 2nd full, so I'm still a newbie. I think a2 week taper should be ok, but it just makes me nervous taking off a whole week of training 5 weeks away from the full.

Replies

• what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie too so not sure what my opinions worth- but 2 weeks out from my first full...I've been altering plans for about the last 6 weeks trying to keep whatever is in my lower right leg from getting worse. I did make my last 20 miles last weekend and my plan only called for two taper weeks anyway. So I'm thinking I would maybe just cut some miles from your total this week (so after the week break it's not like coming back to your highest mileage week or anything). Personally, I would cut miles from early runs and still try to get the long run in or 80-90% of the LONG distance. Do what you can and listen to your body...with only a month left it's the critical time to get better or creep our way back toward the training schedule so we are ready. Good luck- as a fellow gimper/limper I'll be pulling for you!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about the taper, don't repeat that week, just pick up where you left off. Realistically, you aren't going to gain that much more fitness this close to the race anyway.

If you do decide to repeat, I think a two week taper will be fine. Taper can range from 3 weeks to as little as 10 days. Remember, the hay is already in the barn when you get this close to race day.