Having trouble setting a calorie goal.

Options
BluthLover
BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
So since my BMR is 1400 and my TDEE is 2100. I workout 5 times a week burning 400 calories. Now if I set my calorie goal to TDEE - 20% it is 1680. Which means on days I workout I'm dipping below BMR which I don't want to do. However... if I do -10% then I am at 1890. Which works on workout days. However my concern is I am just not losing weight. I have been trying to shoot for 1800 calories and netting 1400. It just doesn't seem to be working. However I really don't want to net below BMR. Any advice is appreciated. I guess I just am not sure what my calorie goal should be. I'm 32 and 5'3 and 135. Goal is 125. BF is 24.

Replies

• lnfunchess
    Options
    I would like to know the answer too?
  • BluthLover
    Options
    I would like to know the answer too?

You are in amazing shape! What's your secret??
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I think you have the numbers right, but you don't say how long your workouts are. And how do you know you are burning 400 calories? HRM? MFP? Fitbit? Eating 1800 and burning 2100, you should be losing pretty slowly, about half a pound a week, so maybe you just haven't been at it long enough? Or have you been doing this since March, the date MFP says you joined? And it may be what you are eating. If you eat high carbs and/or high sodium, you may be holding onto water weight.

Finally, what kind of workouts are you doing? All cardio? Strength training?
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The same thing was happening to me...........However, my personal trainer told me to set my calorie goal at my BMR (1400) and NOT TO EAT UNDER this regardless. I workout 4 or 5 times a week and burn 300-500 cals depending on what I am doing. He told me I had to eat some exercise calories to fuel my workouts. I am now eating between 1400 and 1700 cals per day and have lost 3lbs in a week.

I was really frustrated but this seems to be working for me.

Add me if you like.

Mel x

P.s. I have also stopped drinking alcohol temporarily to help get back on track!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    So since my BMR is 1400 and my TDEE is 2100. I workout 5 times a week burning 400 calories. Now if I set my calorie goal to TDEE - 20% it is 1680. Which means on days I workout I'm dipping below BMR which I don't want to do. However... if I do -10% then I am at 1890. Which works on workout days. However my concern is I am just not losing weight. I have been trying to shoot for 1800 calories and netting 1400. It just doesn't seem to be working. However I really don't want to net below BMR. Any advice is appreciated. I guess I just am not sure what my calorie goal should be. I'm 32 and 5'3 and 135. Goal is 125. BF is 24.

If you go by this method then you eat 1680 every single day whether you work out or not. You have already calculated your workout into your TDEE.
  • BluthLover
    Options
    I think you have the numbers right, but you don't say how long your workouts are. And how do you know you are burning 400 calories? HRM? MFP? Fitbit? Eating 1800 and burning 2100, you should be losing pretty slowly, about half a pound a week, so maybe you just haven't been at it long enough? Or have you been doing this since March, the date MFP says you joined? And it may be what you are eating. If you eat high carbs and/or high sodium, you may be holding onto water weight.

Finally, what kind of workouts are you doing? All cardio? Strength training?

I am using a HRM. I do cardio for 50 min. Weight training for 80 min a week total. I don't lift TOO heavy but am lifting as heavy as I can. Which isn't that heavy!! But I'm trying. I have been doing MFP since March but I was netting too few calories. I was not losing. So I upped my calories in July. Carbs and sodium are probably a problem. I have been 135 for like months and months though. I am not losing at ALL. It's driving me insane....
  • BluthLover
    Options

If you go by this method then you eat 1680 every single day whether you work out or not. You have already calculated your workout into your TDEE.

The problem is going below BMR. Like I would net below BMR on some days. Is that ok?
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Are you talking net calories? If so I just ignore that. For instance, I eat 1700 calories a day, I do not worry about my exercise calories, I ignore that. I have ingested 1700. It will all average out weekly for the days that I eat 1700 and don't work out.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the HRM for calories burned. Unless you are running/walking at least 4 miles in those 50 minutes, you aren't close to 400 calories. If you are running 5 or 6, then maybe. And I agree that if you are including your workouts in TDEE then you should ignore workout calories. They are already included. Ignore net calories. Just try eating around 1700 for a couple of weeks and see how that goes. And change your macros to closer to 30/30/40. Carbs cause you to retain water, as does strength training, so if you are eating too much sodium, too, you may be holding on to half the weight (at least) that you are trying to lose.
  • BluthLover
    Options
    Ok ladies thank you. And yes I am running and running almost five miles some days. Some days I am using a stairclimber. Thank you for your advice :)
  • inspirationalmom32
    inspirationalmom32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi well I have a few suggestions.....The more active you are the more calories you need to put in because your body needs fuel to burn.You need to try to eat things that are higher in protein and lower in carbs.Try adding more fiber to your diet because that helps to boost your weight loss by burning fat.Drink more water also because that also helps with weight loss.If you drink more water that helps cut back on your calories.Say like before you eat a meal you drink water and you eat your meal but you don't finish because the water helped fill you up.I have alot of tips about many things with weight loss so if you need a helping hand than I would love to help....