Lose 3lb after wk5 of reset, am I on the right track?

splashblob
splashblob Posts: 249 Member
Hello people, it's me again. Have you all get annoying with my question of the week yet? =P

Anyway, my main question is as my topic stated. I am not sure I'm doing things right or not. Since September 11th until this Thursday, my schedule has been out of whack and it forced me to be more active than usual. My TDEE spiked up to 2000-2100+ while I am trying to eat consistently at 1700cals. It is until this Friday when things get back to normal.

Do I have to eat back calories or adjust any calories intake when something like this happens? So far, I didn't eat back calories though seeing that this is only temporary. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the process and make me have to restart everything again for the 3rd time. :(

It is at week 6 now, should I continue eating 1700cals since my schedule is back to normal? Am I on the right track or do I need to do anything else? Advice? Anyone?

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Im confused... your TDEE is 2000 and you are eating 1700, but you are on a reset??
    Are you trying to reset and increase your metabolism? And then start cutting the cals again?

A reset is eat AT TDEE for a period of 4-12 weeks. If you are eating 300 cals less than your TDEE, you are not at reset, you are likely at Cut (10-15% less cals)
    Resetting means eating at maintenance, so your body can readjust its metabolism back to burning properly. If you do not actually hit your TDEE level, then your metabolism may not be where it needs to be.

But some back history. Why are you trying a reset? DId you come from a very low cal diet "plan"? Are you struggling to lose weight at higher levels than you were eating? Did you just decide it was the right thing for you to do?

If you are having a loss of pounds at 1700, that may or may not be a good thing, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are infact trying to Reset, then weight loss means you are not eating at TDEE and you need to bump your calories up. If you are just trying to increase your cals and see what happens and being at a 300 cal deficit is giving you losses, then great, keep at it! Honestly, it just all depends on whether you are in fact trying a Reset or not. Based on this, you are not doing a Reset, you are eating at Cut..

Hope this helps
  • splashblob
    Hi, sorry that I make it sounds confusing. I am doing a reset and planned to lose a few pound. I was on VLCD and started eating around 800 cals from the last 2 weeks of May to the end of July and start doing the reset on August. I was eating at 1641 cals based from scooby's sites for 2-3 weeks. Then I got a Fitbit and learned that I underestimate my activity level so I up my cals again to 1700 cals and start over again per Kiki's advice.

Usually, My average TDEE per week based from Fitbit is around 1600-1700. I have been eating at this number and gained 8.5lb or so until last week when my weight started leveled off 2-3lb.

However, I am not sure what is the cause of this weight lose.

Is it because of me being more active this past 2 weeks and burn a lot more than usual? From September 11th until this Friday I was walking a lot and do some lifting. During that time, there were days that Fitbit says I burn around 2000-2100cals per day and so the average TDEE per week (from this past few weeks until this Friday) is higher than usual. )

Or it is because I am eating at my maintenance?

Or it is because of me figuring my TDEE wrong again?

So I wonder do I have to adjust my calories or eat back my calories or just continue eating at 1700 (my usual average TDEE per week)? I didn't always that active, just this past few weeks and it's not in my workout routine either. Now my life is back to normal, which I usually burn at 1600-1700 cals per day.

Do I have to up my cals again.....on the week that I burn more than usual

or do I have to eat back calories when somethings like this happens again?

Hope that clear things up. :ohwell:

.......And if I have to up my cals again,...... for how long? Hopefully not another 8 weeks......considering that this is week 6 now? :sad:
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    If the increased activity was only for a temporary time, which it sounds like it was, then shouldn't be an issue having ate at old TDEE. You would need to recalculate TDEE if you were to operate at this higher level for a prolonged time though.

Also it would be advised to eat back the exercise calories IF they caused your net calories to drop below BMR (enough to put you back at BMR)

Otherwise you're cool and just enjoy the bonus of a few pounds lost. :-)
  • splashblob
    Thank you for your answer wfte. That's a relief to hear that I am not doing anything wrong this time. :D