Pepsi Max, Blood Sugar, Ketone Levels

Options
TheVimFuego
TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
Obviously it is just one man's experiment but the results on blood ketone levels (not the inaccurate urine levels) in particular are interesting:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/is-pepsi-max-bad-for-your-weight

There are many reasons to avoid Pepsi Max (and diet drinks in general, I get headaches and hunger on aspartame) and this would appear to be another if you are looking to maximise your ketogenic potential.

Replies

• wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was considering posting a question regarding this topic which is a coincidence.

I remember watching a show called Secret Eaters and on that they recorded people at home to see what they ate. One thing they picked up on was a guy that drunk a lot of diet drinks and then was picking at food about half hour later.

They said it was as the sweetness prepared the body for a sugar intake and when it doesn't get the sugar it craves stuff. The science on that seems a bit weak to me but maybe the results of that experiment explain why diet drinks may have that effect.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I was considering posting a question regarding this topic which is a coincidence.

I remember watching a show called Secret Eaters and on that they recorded people at home to see what they ate. One thing they picked up on was a guy that drunk a lot of diet drinks and then was picking at food about half hour later.

They said it was as the sweetness prepared the body for a sugar intake and when it doesn't get the sugar it craves stuff. The science on that seems a bit weak to me but maybe the results of that experiment explain why diet drinks may have that effect.

Yeh, I read something about insulin being produced even before sweet-tasting food/drink is swallowed. As carbs are first broken-down in the mouth.

I used to love my Coke Zero but I limit it a lot these days, I think I feel better drinking a small amount of full-sugar Coke as at least this going to give me some energy that the body is expecting. Not optimal nutrition by any means but ...

To say that diet drinks have 'no effect' on the body because they are very low calorie is a bit misleading and misses the wider picture IMO.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of Pepsi Max, if I drink even 1 glass I get cravings for more. I rarely drink soda anymore. I prefer coffee, tea and wine.
  • incognito88
    Options
    There are certain things I cannot live without..... Air, water, my xbox, and Diet Coke. Regardless of what diet on, I simply could not give up Diet Coke... I have done Atkins before and lost 65 lbs, while drinking Diet Coke. I limit myself to up to 2 cans a day, but I do see results when I drink diet soda.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    There are certain things I cannot live without..... Air, water, my xbox, and Diet Coke. Regardless of what diet on, I simply could not give up Diet Coke... I have done Atkins before and lost 65 lbs, while drinking Diet Coke. I limit myself to up to 2 cans a day, but I do see results when I drink diet soda.

Hey, whatever works for you, we all need our thing.

Mine is red wine which, despite reports, is probably not an optimal health drink. :)