Nervous to make almond meal banana bread..

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
Hoping someone out there has done it and can tell me how it cooks, and how it comes out.. If something has to be added and whatnot!

Replies

• beckie32536
    beckie32536 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I made the paleo banana bread recipe from elanaspantry.com. It was delicious. I didn't have the size of pan she recommended so my slices looked more like biscotti, but it still tasted great. I also used Bob's Red Mill vs her recommended Honeyville almond flour. I think that Bob's Red Mill is a courser flour but it works fine in this recipe.

I made the banana bread again last night and tweaked the recipe a bit. I used 5 bananas (I needed to get rid of them as they were getting awfully mushy) and I also added 1/4 c shredded coconut, 1/4 c ground flax seed, and a bit more flour since I had so many extra bananas. It filled up my loaf pan nicely. Kids have almost eaten the whole loaf.

Be sure to cook it for a full hour. I smeared some coconut butter on top when I ate my slice. OMG! It tasted wonderful.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually use the Elana's Pantry recipe or this one:http://www.janssushibar.com/almond-flour-banana-bre/

Multiplydelicious.com also has some really good paleo-ish banana muffin and coffee cake recipes.

I haven't really noticed any difference in how it cooks.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about banana bread, but I've made cookies with almond flour and my husband (who is a food snob) thought it was made with real flour. Coconut flour however is very different (dryer/not 1:1 ratio with regular flour)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    will need to find some almod flour around here somewhere's... Time to take the plunge!
  • tk1531
    tk1531 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Banana Bread French Toast from Paleomg.com: http://paleomg.com/banana-bread-french-toast/

Just when you thought Paleo Banana Bread couldn't get better - you make french toast out of it. ("oh, you fancy, huh?")
    My go-to conversion breakfast for the notquitesopaleopeople. post baked consistency surprisingly similar to "real" banana bread, dense and, slices well.

Almond flour - Unknown where you are shopping but Bob's Red Mill is becoming more accessible in chain groceries and niche groceries. Even online (Amazon etc.). If you have access to Trader Joes (Just Almond Meal), you may find you can purchase up to 3x the amount almond meal for the cost of 1x Bob's. Some MFP Paleo group members make their own (handy bunch, huh?).

For what it's worth, so happy with this recipe - this is my first post on MFP,
    tk
  • Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I made Paleo banana bread with coconut flour. the recipe is actually for muffins but I decided to make it in a 9x11 instead. I love it sooo much!!!

http://fastpaleo.com/coconut-flour-banana-nut-muffins/
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    will need to find some almod flour around here somewhere's... Time to take the plunge!

Bob's Red Mill is good and I can actually get it at my local grocery store (which is surprising). I prefer Honeyville.com. It's a finer grind - my family usually can't tell it's almond flour anymore!
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I do prefer my banana bread with coconut flour (paleoproject's, in particular) but I have made it with almond too (guessing it was Elana's) and it was fine. Again, a personal preference, but I prefer the blanched almond flour over the rougher almond meal flour.