Just getting started- how does this look?

maruby95
maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
Hi All,

I've been working up the courage to jump in here for a long time. But after a looonnnnggg time on VLCD I really need to be here. I want to get my metabolic rate cranking again and get out of the VLC trap.

So, I've been playing with numbers and I think I've got it worked out. But it would help solo much if someone else will look at them and tell me I'm not way off.

40 yo female
5'3"
107 lbs
about 20-21% BF
Exercise: heavy lifting 2-3 x/ week X 30 min, ave 10,000-12,000 steps a day per fitbit, run (very hilly) 45 min 2x/wk

Per scooby-
BMR 1221
TDEE based on moderate activity about 1900
modest 15% cut 1600

But my Fitbit, which I've had since July, tells me my average burn over the past month is 1800
so using that as my TDEE, if I stick with 1550-1600 cals a day, that should be fine.
And just to clarify- I eat that every day, no matter what, right? Workout day or rest day?

My macros are set at 50/25/25 for now b/c I don't eat meat (not a strict vegetarian,though), so I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. When I reduce my carb number I drive myself nuts trying to keep it under even though the carbs I'm eating are 'good' ones.

I eat pretty clean. My diary is open and I am open to suggestions.

I have also been doing intermittent fasting for about 6 months, meaning I eat my calories between 1-9pm every day. So you won't see any breakfasts being logged.

And lastly- but maybe most importantly- my goal:
I want to decrease my body fat and inches. Not as worried about the scale number. That being said, watching people in this group add 10 + pounds during a reset does make me nervous. Not sure how I would do with that...
I want to be strong and healthy, and feel good in my skin.

Thanks so much for helping me! It will help me push through increasing my calories knowing I'm doing the right thing!!

anna

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I've been working up the courage to jump in here for a long time. But after a looonnnnggg time on VLCD I really need to be here. I want to get my metabolic rate cranking again and get out of the VLC trap.

So, I've been playing with numbers and I think I've got it worked out. But it would help solo much if someone else will look at them and tell me I'm not way off.

40 yo female
    5'3"
    107 lbs
    about 20-21% BF
    Exercise: heavy lifting 2-3 x/ week X 30 min, ave 10,000-12,000 steps a day per fitbit, run (very hilly) 45 min 2x/wk

Per scooby-
    BMR 1221
    TDEE based on moderate activity about 1900
    modest 15% cut 1600

But my Fitbit, which I've had since July, tells me my average burn over the past month is 1800
    so using that as my TDEE, if I stick with 1550-1600 cals a day, that should be fine.
    And just to clarify- I eat that every day, no matter what, right? Workout day or rest day?

My macros are set at 50/25/25 for now b/c I don't eat meat (not a strict vegetarian,though), so I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. When I reduce my carb number I drive myself nuts trying to keep it under even though the carbs I'm eating are 'good' ones.

I eat pretty clean. My diary is open and I am open to suggestions.

I have also been doing intermittent fasting for about 6 months, meaning I eat my calories between 1-9pm every day. So you won't see any breakfasts being logged.

And lastly- but maybe most importantly- my goal:
    I want to decrease my body fat and inches. Not as worried about the scale number. That being said, watching people in this group add 10 + pounds during a reset does make me nervous. Not sure how I would do with that...
    I want to be strong and healthy, and feel good in my skin.

Thanks so much for helping me! It will help me push through increasing my calories knowing I'm doing the right thing!!

Looks pretty good, though a couple of points.

Will comment the FitBit has no idea what the lifting calorie burn is, based on just motion, so you would burn more for the lifting.
    You might take a peek at what MFP estimates for lifting, it's actually pretty decent estimate.
    But trying to figure out how much of the FitBit daily burn was for lifting to replace with MFP estimate - perhaps just go for 1850.

Also, sounds like at goal weight or pretty close, mainly wanting to recompose what you are made of.
    So 15% is too aggressive this close, 10% for your goal would be better.

This means you'll get max benefit from the lifting, so really try to make it 3x weekly, lose a cardio day if required to make it. And lift heavy, do a 2 set routine instead of 3 sets to save time since only 30 min. Biggest muscles first, so legs, like dead lift, then up to upper body push (bench) and pull (bent over row), then lower again with squat, then pull (lat pulldown) and push (shoulder press), then calves (yep, bigger than your biceps/triceps), then pull (upright row) and stomach. Easily be going over 30 min there, so lower body first, chest and back, then lower body again. Might make that in 30.

And yes, everyday is that goal. Of course, if you miss a workout, skip 250 calories that day, if you make it up or add one, eat another 250.
    Learning to eat for your level of activity.

That decent of a deficit should allow max improvement from the lifting, allowing fat dropping and muscle improvement.

To get maximum benefit too, make sure the protein you eat is complete protein, so your body can help rebuild your muscle with it.

Also, if you have been eating really low, might increase just 100 cal a day for a week, then another 100, ect, until at your new daily goal.
  • Sounds like great advice. I second the slow increase of calories. In theory it should help keep the weight gain if any to a minimum or snail pace as well. I tried to go straight up in the beginning and felt TERRIBLE all day everyday and then raised a little slower and things went much more smoothly.

I'm doing another reset in a couple weeks because when I did mine I was still actually too low, but it got me moving in the right direction for a little while at least.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I am definetly increasing the cals slowly as I found I was miserable trying to do it all at once.

Just one point of clarification needed: still confused on whether I need to eat different amounts based on activity. I thought the point of using an average TDEE was to find an average intake. I guess I figured if it was a rest day and in reality I ate slightly above my TDEE for that day, then another day when I did more exercise, I might end up a little under, but that over the course of a week, it would even out.

True? Not true? I like the simplicity of having the same calorie goal every day. Otherwise I get a little crazy about the workouts and trying to eat back calories or whatever. Trying to keep things simple...but only if it works :).

Thanks.

Edited for stupidity.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I am definetly increasing the cals slowly as I found I was miserable trying to do it all at once.

Just one point of clarification needed: still confused on whether I need to eat different amounts based on activity. I thought the point of using an average TDEE was to find an average intake. I guess I figured if it was a rest day and in reality I ate slightly above my TDEE for that day, then another day when I did more exercise, I might end up a little under, but that over the course of a week, it would even out.

True? Not true? I like the simplicity of having the same calorie goal every day. Otherwise I get a little crazy about the workouts and trying to eat back calories or whatever. Trying to keep things simple...but only if it works :).

Same goal everyday.

And unless you only worked out for like 5 hrs on 1 day, the rest days will never be above TDEE, it'll always be less.
    The amount above or below BMR may change, but none of it would be above TDEE. Even your literal real TDEE for a rest day.