My Struggles

My biggest struggles are portion control and exercising consistently. If anyone has any tips or tricks for either of these challenges, please feel free to share them with me. I am hoping that by sharing our struggles, we can help each other to reframe our challenges into a positive light and help each other to overcome our struggles. We can do this with each other's help!!! :smile:

Replies

• kriskerans
    kriskerans Posts: 92 Member
    :smile: My struggles are the same, how much and getting up after coming home from work to work out. This has worked for me...
    Use a smaller plate so it looks like you have a full plate, don't eat anything before you log it, after you see how many calories,
    an what size you can put it on your plate, I bought a scale so I can weigh out chicken, and keep teaspoons, and 1/2 cups out
    to fill up an then put on my plate. I scanned everything, like if I make a sandwich, I scan the bread, meat, dressing, ect.
    With working out, I switch off from Zumba to Jogging, I come home from work and do Zumba before dinner, I feel so much better
    after I do work out, its like a treat to eat, or I jog after dinner .
  • carrie1610
    carrie1610 Posts: 54 Member
    With exercising I think the most important thing is to find something you enjoy doing. I attend a local zumba class as often as I can and love going. It's great fun and feels more like an evening out - the fact that I'm getting so much exercise is a bonus! I've been going for a year now and try to fit in one or two classes a week if possible. However, with work and childcare it can sometimes be difficult to go as the class times don't always fit in with when I'm free.

I just joined a small women only gym just over a week ago and find that great - really relaxed atmosphere and very friendly. I find it easier to fit in that zumba as I can go whenever I have a spare hour. Last week I went 3 times.

I also try to go for a brisk walk when I can, often with a friend so we can catch up on all the news whilst we exercise!

So, really just try to find something you like! An exercise buddy really helps I think. Also, as you feel the benefits of exercising I find it encourages you to keep doing it - and of course it means that you increase your calorie allowance for the day!
  • carrie1610
    carrie1610 Posts: 54 Member
    Oh, and portion control - weigh everything, use a smaller plate and drink plenty of water. :smile:
  • anntyson
    anntyson Posts: 23 Member
    I do pretty good in eating healthy foods and exercising every day...my struggles are on the weekend when I go
    out with my friends or family. I'm always being invited to bar-b-ques...can't seem to say no to those delicious
    bar-b-q ribs....yummy....
  • Ldevinemk
    Ldevinemk Posts: 44 Member
    my struggles are eating late at night when I get the kids to bed. I feel like that is my only "me" time....I find myself plopping down and having a couple of beers or a glass of wine to unwind from the day. For the last two weeks, I have not done that...but I struggle every night with it....trying to find another outlet instead of watching TV. Iamfitandslim: not sure on portion control, I struggle too. Sounds like great suggestions from everyone, with drinking water and using a smaller plate. Maybe have your family eat on smaller plates too so that you do not feel like the odd man out or "different"...or on a diet. My kids eat on smaller plates, so that could be easy for me. I think you said you had teenagers, so that might not work for them LOL
  • tessiscruisen
    tessiscruisen Posts: 84 Member
    My struggles are the weekends as well, as crazy as it sounds, I look forward to my work week so that I can maintain a schedule. I walk durning my lunch everyday, park far away from the door and bring everything with me I plan to eat and no money for the snack machine :). I enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine after work a couple days a week, but I account for it. On the weekends I'm surrounded by those who enjoy eating junk food and like to have several cocktails (especially on Saturday)... I try not to endulge and have done much better than I thought I would... I find things to do around the house to keep me pre-occupied.

I wear a fit bit, so that keeps me motivated to get my steps and stairs in and I always know how many calories I burn each day and I set myself goals each day/week.
  • I pretty much eat out of boredom. I always find myself in the kitchen....looking and then eating. I am trying to find things to do to keep myself busy and out of the kitchen.

I have not gotten started exercising yet. I guess that would give me something to do. Wouldn't it?

Marianne
  • Iamslimandfit
    Iamslimandfit Posts: 212 Member
    Night-time eating is another constant temptation for me, too. I have done much better resisting lately, and it is paying off.
  • Iamslimandfit
    Today, I have struggled with eating way too fast at meals. Then, I eat more before knowing I am satisfied, and I end up stuffed. Darn it, I was doing so well. I will go ride the bike right now and start over with eating slower tomorrow!
  • Ldevinemk
    Ldevinemk Posts: 44 Member
    iamslimandfit, I struggle with that too! That is great that you rode the bike. Good luck today on slowing down at meals!
  • kissmevodka
    kissmevodka Posts: 29 Member
    Today, after a weigh-in, I'm struggling with a gain when I've tried so hard!! :(
    It's what usually makes me give up and forget the whole darn thing and gain back even more.
    I'm going to just look at it as a readjustment from a good 1.9kg loss the week before and keep trying.
    I have to. I can't keep falling off the wagon just because of one bad week (even though the week of trying wasn't bad - just the gain)

I will endeavour to add more exercise to my week.
    I will continue to monitor and record everything I eat.
    I will not be defeated.

^ This is going to be my mantra this week^ lol
  • Iamslimandfit
    kissmevodka: That's the attitude you need to succeed!!! Don't focus so much on the scale! If you are making healthy choices, you are making progress! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Keep up the good work!!!! :wink: