eating back exercise cal question...

So in order to do this, scooby has me eating 1933 daily to lose fat, gain muscle at moderate activity. I want to make sure I understand this properly (again)---- I set my daily calories at 1933 here on MFP and I do NOT eat back exercise calories unless I'm netting under 1247 which is my BMR. Is this right? Thanks guys! Trainer and I are starting to see some baby guns popping out and I'd like to help those little guys really grow! ;)

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Absolutely correct! Scooby incorporates your exercise into that number and yes, the only time you'd have to worry about eating more is if you net under BMR.

FYI I'm eating at TDEE too for the next couple of weeks, but going by my BMF burn for the numbers. So my rest days will be much lower, while you'll be eating the same amount every day :)

Can I just ask... that number seems a tiny bit low, given that I know you exercise heaps. I sit at a desk and yesterday my TDEE was 2200. What activity level did you put into the calculator?
  • Absolutely correct! Scooby incorporates your exercise into that number and yes, the only time you'd have to worry about eating more is if you net under BMR.

FYI I'm eating at TDEE too for the next couple of weeks, but going by my BMF burn for the numbers. So my rest days will be much lower, while you'll be eating the same amount every day :)

Can I just ask... that number seems a tiny bit low, given that I know you exercise heaps. I sit at a desk and yesterday my TDEE was 2200. What activity level did you put into the calculator?

Moderate level.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    if you're on your feet most of the day and you're also doing a high intensity workout every day, you may want to work out your numbers for the level above that, and if that's slightly too much you could always do a happy medium between the two.

with all that running and bootcamp that i know you do, i think moderate might be just slightly too low? if you want to build muscle, it wouldn't hurt to overestimate. if you start gaining inches in unwanted places, you can adjust, but your muscles will flourish with at least maintenance or a slight surplus!
  • if you're on your feet most of the day and you're also doing a high intensity workout every day, you may want to work out your numbers for the level above that, and if that's slightly too much you could always do a happy medium between the two.

with all that running and bootcamp that i know you do, i think moderate might be just slightly too low? if you want to build muscle, it wouldn't hurt to overestimate. if you start gaining inches in unwanted places, you can adjust, but your muscles will flourish with at least maintenance or a slight surplus!

Good call. I'll try it with strenuous. Pretty sure that gives me like another 100 cals or so.
  • Actually changing to strenuous gave me almost 200 extra cals. I set it at 2100 and called it a day.