New Introduction

Options
Welcome,
KC9OEN (George), I tested for my general license in 2008 and have loved ham radio ever since. I have always been looking for a way to marry up ham radio and walking (exercising) as I always thought it would be nice to walk and talk. Use the walk to get exercise and the HT (walkie-talkie) to talk with others, make the walk not so long. This would be my first stab at putting the radio and fitness together.

Welcome and when you get a chance introduce yourself.

I'll go first.

My name is George and I live in the North Western part of Illinois. Actually, gas is so expensive in IL I goto Iowa to get gas and save about $.40 per gallon on average. Got my ticket in '08 and have ventured into studying APRS on the ham radio. I have an APRS setup in my truck and one in the house.

I am currently unemployed and looking.

I like MFP because of the community like feeling and the ability to track what you eat on your smart phone.

What I hope this group can accomplish is to 1) get fit and 2) talk ham. And if there is a better way to bring the two together please let me know. I have often thought about putting my hf rig by my treadmill but that just wont work for now.

Thank you,
George

73's

Replies

• MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    KC0JPT here. I received my licence in January on 2001 out in Colorado. My husband is a very active ham while I am a "bad ham" ~ not very active. My husband is w0ep. We now live in Mississippi a huge change from Colorado~love the winters here!

My husband is not a part of MFP but I am very active on it. I have lost over 100 pounds in the last 2 1/2 years and am now in maintenance mode. I run five days out of the week and lift two days out of the week, watch what I eat and enjoy my life here in rural Mississippi.

I am a housewife so I cook and clean and then clean and cook.

I have a dog, Paxton. He is a Boxer. And a cat, Kali. Our two children are grown and doing their own thing. We enjoy hearing from them occasionally.

That is my life in a nutshell.

I need to be more active in the ham community. We have an active severe weather group as we have lots of tornadoes, etc. (we lost part of our roof last Spring to one!) and we want to get more involved in that and give back to the community in that way.

73's to you!

Melinda
    KC0JPT
  • M0TZO
    M0TZO Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Paul MØTZO. Also hold US General licence WØTZO (sadly not used yet).

Started using FitBit on 4th July and as my ticker should show I've lost over 40 lbs (42 as I post today).

Anyway, good to see fellow Hams on here, and feel free to add as friend on MFP if you wish.

Paul MØTZO
    WØTZO, G1ZQN, 2EØTZO, M3TZO, MX0HTJ
  • JoshKaplan5
    JoshKaplan5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greetings all,

Of course I found a ham group here, we are everywhere :smiley:

Haven't used this app in a while, but wanting to give it another try. I've been trying to get back into shape, inspired in a great deal by getting more deeply involved with ARES and RACES and hopefully SOTA soon.

I serve as PIO for my local club (Oakland Radio Communication Association) and am an instructor with our CERT program here in Oakland, California.

Currently have my Technician ticket, but am studying for General.

Hope to catch you all on the air someday.

Josh KK6PNS
  • N5PRE
    N5PRE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kevin Trotman, Extra Class N5PRE here, originally from Texas but now living in Aiken, SC. I was first licensed in 1989 and enjoyed the 10m band during the early 90's when there were sunspots to support it. Recently though, I've updated to an ICOM IC-7300 and am enjoying working mostly digital on FT8 on various bands using a G5RV antenna in the back yard. My 100 Watts and a Wire number is #179 and you can sometimes hear me read reports on the Amateur Radio Newsline podcast or on ARNewsline's segment presented by Don Wilbanks (AE5DW) on Ham Nation. I also manage the website for ARNewsline. You can find ARNewsline at arnewsline.org and subscribe to the podcast.
    I have type 2 diabetes and need to lose weight and one of my ham friends turned me on to MyFitnessPal and I'm giving it a go. I have my blood sugar under control, but still need to drop at least 50lbs.... if not 75, ideally. Looking forward to having other hams to join on the journey to better health.

73 de N5PRE,
    Kevin