Three Meals vs Several Small meals - DOES NOT MATTER!

Options
cramernh
cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Im doing some bookwork for some of our clinicians who work with dietary intakes and they shared with me this medical study - which was TOTALLY AWESOME!

Whether you eat three 'squares' or choose to do several small meals in the day, it....does......not......matter.

Do what works for you in the course of your normal (or in my case abnormal) day.

The bottom line is that no matter how you break up your calorie intake, the fact of changing how often you eat during the day doesnt matter; its still the same amount of calories provided you are following your individual caloric daily intake.

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`ve tried both ways, personally i feel less bloated splitting my day into at least 5 meals..If i only have 3 with the same cals..I can hardly move some times..But i`ll go and have a read...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I`ve tried both ways, personally i feel less bloated splitting my day into at least 5 meals..If i only have 3 with the same cals..I can hardly move some times..But i`ll go and have a read...

Thats why I posted ---->
    "do what works for you"......

There has been a strong misconception on the main boards (more like out-right battles) over you have to have small meals vs you should only be having three squares a day.

It shouldnt be such a battle because its so obvious: every person is different. One of the surgeons sent this over to my attention and I just fell in love with it... 8-)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go with what works for you.

I start the day with coffee and cream, have a biggish meal around 2pm when I am appreciably hungry(ish) then a decent dinner around 6pm. It helps that I work from home right now though.

What I really like about low (adequate) carb is that it enables me to do this, I'm not a slave to blood sugar anymore.

I think there are some advantages to giving the digestive system a break and letting the body go into maintenance mode for a bit ... I believe it's called autophagy.

But hey, whatever works is good :)
  • debk3p2
    debk3p2 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go with what works for you.

Right. And don't be afraid to change things up a bit if you aren't losing. I was basically eating nothing until noon or one on most days and I didn't lose anything for a couple of weeks. I'm just not that hungry in the mornings. Anyways I finally decided to change things up and started eating breakfast. Also added a snack most days too. Started losing again and felt a little more energetic too. I'm hungrier now than I was before though - so it's kind of a trade off.

I remember reading an article over the summer about a study with rats where they ate the same amount of calories but some quit eating at 5 pm and the others had access all day and night. The ones who could eat after 5 gained weight and the others maintained. It was pretty interesting. I wish I'd saved the link. I don't think I could survive not eating past 5 though.

Good article. I have enough trouble planning 3 or 4 meals a day. I would be a pain to have to plan 6.