Hello!

jbaca9602
jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
I'm new! :) I wanted to see if I'm doing this all right 'cause I've been slowly learning about this and found info last night that I'm *still* doing it in a VLC way!

I had a huge appetite as a kid/teen. When I moved out on my own, I was so busy between finishing high school and working full time that my appetite dropped drastically. After high school, I ended up really sedentary, and now it makes sense that between the low appetite and basically sitting around all day, I gained 60 lbs. I slowly lost half of it, then gained it back in pregnancy. When I first started actively trying to lose weight, a friend hearing my frustrations asked how much I eat - I tracked and found that I was eating 800-1000 with some days even lower! I found out I had to be closer to 1200, and doing that did jumpstart my metabolism, but since then I've been stuck at this 11-lb loss.

I found this whole TDEE formula last night and found out about exactly what I'm doing to my body by only eating 1200/day. I'm 5'6" and 179. My TDEE is 2245 and my BMR is 1632. I'm lightly active. So if I take 20% off of the TDEE, that's 1850. That's the amount I should stay around in order to keep my body well fed, right? And I shouldn't eat back exercise calories?

I know this isn't a quick fix, but that's not what I want. I want systemic change, a body that I takes care of itself as long as I give it the right fuel and activity. Besides, none of the quick fixes have worked for me. This is really all I have left to try, so I hope it works!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Hi!

Yes.based on your calculations your should be eating 1850 cals every day. Your calculation has already taken into account your exercise so as you said you don't need to eat them back. However if you've had a day with particularly high calorie burns, e.g. have done more exercise than usual, and your NET value drops below your BMR (1632) then you should eat back some more cals to make sure you are netting above BMR.

As you say this is not a quick fix but a plan that is intended to be sustainable for life. Your body will thank you for fuelling it properly but having eaten so little for a long time you may well see some initial weight gain and you need to be prepared for this. Once your metabolism is back on track you should start losing weight again when eating at your cut value.

Good luck to you.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Hey and Welcome-looks all good to me ;)
    Best of luck