Try Something New Wednesday

Options
Share a recipe for any food or beverage you have recently tried and/or pickup a new recipe to try something new! ANYTHING NEW - try and tell us about it. I recently tried hiking and LOVED it!

Replies

• doit2013
    doit2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    So as hectic as life is right now, I don't have much time to try something new...been mostly trying to stick to what is working....but I think I'll make my something new be slowing down and taking some time to look for some new recipes. I'll try at least one this weekend then report back NEXT Wednesday :)

Hope everyone is having a happy hump day...Friday is just around the corner!!
  • BernaRoche
    BernaRoche Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiking is just about one of my favorite activities! Glad you enjoyed it LaDonna. Nothing lifts the spirits more than a good dose of nature, in my book!

I haven't tried much new in the way of diet, but I'm learning how to use Adobe Creative Suites at work and enjoying that! Now if I could just get home before dark again tonight....
  • Holdenke1
    Holdenke1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone! My girlfriend told me about a recipe and I am going to try it tomorrow. It's a smoothie but you add oatmeal to it. It consists of fruit, ice, a sweetener, coconut water (don't know how many calories in this), and oatmeal. I think it sounds good, cause I like all the ingredients. Ya'll have a great Wednesday. I'm very hungry this morning - wish me luck. :flowerforyou:
  • doit2013
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone! My girlfriend told me about a recipe and I am going to try it tomorrow. It's a smoothie but you add oatmeal to it. It consists of fruit, ice, a sweetener, coconut water (don't know how many calories in this), and oatmeal. I think it sounds good, cause I like all the ingredients. Ya'll have a great Wednesday. I'm very hungry this morning - wish me luck. :flowerforyou:

Hopefully with the oatmeal in it, it will keep you feeling full :)

My new thing this week is a new scale...measures body fat %... ouch....
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    For something new I am starting the C25k program (couch to 5k). I have never been a runner but I decided it was time to try. I actually started it Saturday and today was my 3rd day on it. My biggest concern is how it will affect my knee. I tore the cartlidges in it over 10 years ago and had a lot of trouble with it after that. After I finally had surgery for it the doctor told me it would never be "normal". But since losing weight and doing strength training it has been a lot better. It aches sometimes but not the pain like I use to have. I figure if I start having pain I can always abandon the plan and go back to lower impact activities.
  • doit2013
    Options
    I have discovered Luna bars and I am in love :):):) they taste good, but also leave me feeling full so I'm not tempted to snack so much!

It's getting pretty quiet in here....I hope that those from the east coast are doing ok...
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    I have discovered Luna bars and I am in love :):):) they taste good, but also leave me feeling full so I'm not tempted to snack so much!

It's getting pretty quiet in here....I hope that those from the east coast are doing ok...

You will have to let us know if the Luna bars stall weight loss. I'm just asking because I know sometimes the energy bars can stall weight loss if you eat too many. If they don't, I'd like to try them.

My brother is in PA and he has no electricity. My sister is in another town in PA, and they are fine. I'm thankful I'm in Texas.
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Luckily I'm not on the east coast either. What an ordeal they went through and some still going through.

This week I have started making smoothies for lunch. I don't eat enough fruit and vegetables and thought this would be a good thing to try. I put about 1 1/2 cups fruit. Strawberries, canned apricots, mandarin oranges, mangos, frozen blueberries. Whatever sounds good. Then I add a big handful of spinach. You have to add a little liquid. I've used water or pineapple juice. If none of the fruit is frozen I add a little ice to make it cold. The color with the spinach is a little bit of a turn off but the flavor is great and it's packed with vitamins. If you can't stand the color, use blueberries. They are dark enough to cover it up.
  • BernaRoche
    BernaRoche Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wondering if a protein powder would make this even better. Also, are you just using a blender or do you have a special juicer? I have not tried a juicer - seems expensive and not sure I'll like the outcomes. I have done smoothies with protein powder (pea powder from Arbonne to avoid soy, which is problematic for me post breast-cancer) and like them as a welcome change from routine.
    This week I have started making smoothies for lunch. I don't eat enough fruit and vegetables and thought this would be a good thing to try. I put about 1 1/2 cups fruit. Strawberries, canned apricots, mandarin oranges, mangos, frozen blueberries. Whatever sounds good. Then I add a big handful of spinach. You have to add a little liquid. I've used water or pineapple juice. If none of the fruit is frozen I add a little ice to make it cold. The color with the spinach is a little bit of a turn off but the flavor is great and it's packed with vitamins. If you can't stand the color, use blueberries. They are dark enough to cover it up.
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :drinker: It is hump day. That means only 3 days of work left until the weekend. Considering that I'm a bit bored with my job, this is my good news. As for trying something new, I tried an English muffin sandwich from Smart Ones. It is 230 calories. Although putting an english muffin in the microwave makes it rubbery. So although it was tasty and quick, I think the next time I will just buy english muffins and put one in the toaster, and cook an egg or two. When I was young I used to eat english muffins with peanut butter. Now that was good and it just came to mind. Maybe I'll try that again. I try to stay at around 300 calories for breakfast. Ok, that's it for me. How about you? Have you tried anything new lately?
  • doit2013
    Options
    Yeeesss! Happy hump day :)

My new thing this morning is to drink a protein shake before I leave for work. I'm hoping that it will help to curb some hunger, plus give me a little extra protein, fiber, and nutients.

Yesterday I was so hungry all day, I ended up eating over my calorie goal. So far so good today, though :) I'll have to see how it feels through the rest of the week...
  • Holdenke1
    Options

My new thing this morning is to drink a protein shake before I leave for work. I'm hoping that it will help to curb some hunger, plus give me a little extra protein, fiber, and nutients.

Yesterday I was so hungry all day, I ended up eating over my calorie goal. So far so good today, though :) I'll have to see how it feels through the rest of the week...

Yes, let us know about the shakes. It's always good to find something that curbs that hunger. Hunger is a little monster, always wanting to make us fail. :grumble:
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    Share a recipe for any food or beverage you have recently tried and/or pickup a new recipe to try something new! ANYTHING NEW - try and tell us about it. I recently tried hiking and LOVED it!

Good morning everyone. It's hump day! Thank goodness. Next week is Thanksgiving week. How many of you are taking the week off? If you are , how are you planning to get thru the days? The above quote by LaDonna says she discovered hiking. Do you know how many calories you can burn hiking? ALOT! I plan to hike at least 3 times starting this weekend. I agree with you LaDonna, hiking is a fun way to get exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • doit2013
    Options

Yes, let us know about the shakes. It's always good to find something that curbs that hunger. Hunger is a little monster, always
    wanting to make us fail. :grumble:

So far the shakes and the protein bars are working well...continuing to lose a lb a week...even through my period :)
  • doit2013
    Options

Good morning everyone. It's hump day! Thank goodness. Next week is Thanksgiving week. How many of you are taking the week off? If you are , how are you planning to get thru the days? The above quote by LaDonna says she discovered hiking. Do you know how many calories you can burn hiking? ALOT! I plan to hike at least 3 times starting this weekend. I agree with you LaDonna, hiking is a fun way to get exercise. :flowerforyou:

I'm not taking the week off...I'm currently involved in another group and the goal is to lose despite the holidays. My plan is to measure everything...have my favorites...log it all...plus get in some extra exercise to give me some wiggle room :)

A few years ago I was doing really well, I had lost 61 lbs, and then completely fell off the wagon at thanksgiving...I never got back on the wagon, unfortunately, and gained back almost all of the weight. I'm not doing that ever again...I need to learn to moderate my food...even on special occasions...maybe especially on special occasions :):):)

Happy hump day! I'm taking Friday off, so technically, today's my Thursday, woo hoo!!
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm not taking the week off...I'm currently involved in another group and the goal is to lose despite the holidays. My plan is to measure everything...have my favorites...log it all...plus get in some extra exercise to give me some wiggle room :)

[/quote]

Yes, it is a great time to get in some extra exercise. I am only off Thu - Sun, although that's plenty of time to get in extra exercise. I hope to hike on Friday and Sunday. Also on Thursday we are going to my son's house, so before we go, I'd like to get some eliptical in. i too am in another group to lose 5 lbs in November, and in a group to lose 10 lbs by Christmas. Yes, that may or may not happen, since I've only lost 1 lb this month. ha!
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    That above message was supposed be in quotes (the top paragraph) from doit2013. Guess I messed that up.
  • Holdenke1
    Options
    I tried redfish today. It was very tasty and not many calories. I believe 121 cal for 4 oz. I don't think I'd had it before, so I'm posting that this is my "try something new" item for the day. It had lots of protein too. It really saved me at lunch time. I went out with a co-worker and I just removed most of the bread from the sandwich. Added a salad. And that was lunch. Very filling too.
  • doit2013
    Options
    I joined a gym....lots of new things for me to try in there...
  • doit2013
    Options
    New thing this week...Drinking a bottle of water first thing when I get yp in the morning....trying to find creative ways to up my intake :)