Prone Jacknife

I'm pretty sure there's another thread on this but I couldn't find a definitive answer so I thought I'd just ask.

I plan on starting this tomorrow and I'm pretty good on everything else but this move. My gym doesn't have a Swiss ball, and even if they did I'm horribly clumsy and would be terrified of using it, so is there any replacement move for this?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Not really, sorry. I would do planks instead. Remember to squeeze your belly and butt the whole time, don't hold your breath. Try holding the position for 60 seconds for each set. If you're unable, hold it for as long as you can and add more sets.

I bought a Swiss ball on Amazon for <$10. Discount stores like Target and Walmart have them too.
  • I have a Swiss ball at home, but I wanted to alternate like you're supposed to. That and as I said I'm really clumsy and whenever I use the Swiss ball I tend to incur some kind of injury... :(
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Honestly, I posted here that my abs felt like they weren't really shaping up like the rest of my body on this program. I started doing planks and side planks last week and it has helped a ton already, so I vote for those as a replacement too.
  • Side planks sound like a really good alternative. Thank you so much.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    I think you can use TRX if there is one in your gym. The side planks alone will not sub the jackknife. If I was you, I'll do it at home.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Bring your ball to the gym.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    I go really slow and try to concentrate and can usually manage to do a few before the ball goes comically rolling away, practice does help.
  • It's nice to know I'm not the only clumsy one with them.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    I am too. I fell off the ball the other day... at least I can laugh at myself right?! Lol. You'll get the hang of it :)
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    I think you can use TRX if there is one in your gym. The side planks alone will not sub the jackknife. If I was you, I'll do it at home.

^^^^this

if you have a TRX or similar suspension trainer then use that. Adjust the foot straps to about knee height and away you go
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    Honestly I would skip it at the gym, and do at home. Or substitue with any other exercise for core, but still do them at home. Prone Jacknife is awesome exercise and I wouldn't just replace it.
  • This is really convincing me I might need a new gym.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,106 Member
    I did *a lot* of my ab-work, throughout NROL4W, on my "off" days - simply because I didn't have the time to do the end-of-routine-ab-work during my 60-minute weight-lifting times!

I'm now doing NROL4Abs and the swiss ball jackknife has re-appeared! Frankly, it is *still* brutal, but I'm not as bad at it as I was when I started NROL4W.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Try doing the V-sit (or boat) yoga pose (you can google it or see it on Youtube). Once you are in the pose, you can even do some pulses that will really work the abs. I think it's a decent replacement for the Prone Jackknife. I struggled with them when I first started yoga/pilates but now I can do them fairly easily. In fact the prone jackknife was too easy for me (and I don't think did much for me) during my first workout - but I think that's because I've been doing pilates and yoga 4 days a week for months (and can do the V pose well though it took me a long time lol).